Can two control panels work on 1 door opener?

Old 06-06-12, 08:51 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can two control panels work on 1 door opener?

I have two entry doors to my garage and one has the control panel to open the door and turn the light on (chamberlain door opener). Can I wire a 2nd control panel to the other door and will it still function like the first?

78LM Chamberlain LiftMaster Single Garage Door
Multi-function Control Panel (Part # OCL-M1)

Old 06-06-12, 11:23 AM
F
Chamberlain recommends one wall control. There may be a problem with the functions but who can tell until you try. I know of one person that had the wall control with a clock. Each time he used an additional button he had installed it reset the clock. It upset him.

Old 06-06-12, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding? You want to install a second opener and control panel for the 2nd door?

If you mean you just want to control the door from a location different away from the existing control...fabricate a mount and buy another car remote and mount it with velcro tape.

Old 06-07-12, 02:55 AM
Received 26 Votes on 26 Posts
Yes you can have two push buttons to control one door, I have done it many times. The second push button needs to be a Liftmaster / Chmberlain product though, It can't be Generic button

Old 06-07-12, 04:36 AM
S
Let me clarify. I have one garage door and two interior doors leading into the garage (one for my side of the house and another for the in-law side). The existing control panel is mounted near the door to my side of the house. The door opener is the only means of light for the garage. Having to access the control panel from the in-law door would require several steps and in my opinion, is unsafe. Rather than wiring lights, I'm asking for a cheaper/more simple approach by wiring another conrtol panel in series with the first. Will this work?

Old 06-07-12, 02:06 PM
F
I think the only way this will work is if you wire them in parallel rather than series. I don't think you are going to find many people who have done this to turn the light off and on.

Old 06-07-12, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Seems to me it would be a lot easier to just wire in a separate light for the garage - it ought to have one anyway

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: