Is this a reasonable price for my garage door spring system?

Old 06-27-12, 01:03 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this a reasonable price for my garage door spring system?

Hello-

My garage door opener stopped being able to lift my garage door due to at least one broken spring. I called a garage door guy and he looked at the spring "system" I have. It is the type where the springs are inside a long metal tube running the length of my garage door (about 15 feet wide I would guess) with a dial on each end of the tube. He told me that likely one or both springs had broken inside.

He also told me that no one really carries that type of system (with the springs inside a tube) and that it would take him a couple of weeks to order a new tube with springs system. Instead, he offered to change the system to a more conventional one- I think called a torsional system where the springs are visible on the outside of the system. He says it will cost $325 to do the conversion and that future repairs of the springs would also be cheaper with this type of system. Or he said he could order a new tube/spring for my existing system. That would take a couple of weeks and cost around $100 cheaper.

I told him I would think about it. What do you guys think? Should I convert the spring system to this new system as I really would like to have the use of my garage back! Is $325 a fair price for the NW Chicago suburbs?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-12, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 493 Votes on 452 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me! If I was going to come work at your house for 8 hrs, I'd charge a little over $325... and that wouldn't include any parts or materials! So I would expect that for a 1/2 day job, and half of that being the parts you need, it would be a small price to pay to have ur garage back!

Your car is probably getting hot sitting outside in the sun today!

Old 06-27-12, 01:26 PM
U
Yes, the car is getting hot in the sun today! I feel for the guy that will have to come out and do the repair in the heat this week!

So that sounds reasonable, huh? OK, thanks.

Old 06-27-12, 01:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 493 Votes on 452 Posts
If he's smart he'll bring a cooler and a fan along with him!

Old 06-27-12, 01:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
We just had two single doors installed, including a conversion from extension springs to torsion springs for $595 per door (plus a couple hundred each for two new operators).

$325 to convert one door to a torsion spring seems in the ballpark to me as well.

That said, I wouldn't hire anyone without having a couple other bids for comparison.

Old 06-27-12, 02:00 PM
U
..............................Thanks Mitch.

Old 06-27-12, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The price is in the ballpark...but what you have is a lot easier for a homeowner to adjust as required.

Sounds like a Wayne-Dalton system. Clopay easy adjust springs are exposed AFAIK.

Hmmm...you said metal tube? May not be W-D...last one I saw was just a plastic housing.

Old 06-27-12, 03:10 PM
U
Thanks Gunguy. Yeah, it is a metal tube with springs inside and he mentioned plastic gears.

Old 07-19-12, 11:11 PM
G
Wayne Dalton Torquemaster system

This is the Wayne Dalton Torquemaster 1 system. I would highly recommend replacing that with a more common torsion spring setup. That price is good. This costs $400-450 in the Austin, TX area. This should also take a good tech about an hour to hour and a half. Make sure the door properly balances, as those doors are super light and will require longer springs than standard doors.