Genie Garage Door Opener problem (see video in link)

Old 07-01-12, 04:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Genie Garage Door Opener problem (see video in link)

My Genie chain guide garage door opener is not closing all the way. When it gets about a foot or so off of the ground, the motor makes a large popping noise and the garage door goes back up. I attached a link of the garage door closing, note the noise right before the door goes up.

Genie Garage Door Opener problem - YouTube

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-01-12, 05:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I see a newly framed wall. Did the problem start after you framed the wall? Are there two adjustments on the bottom of the motor?

Old 07-01-12, 06:13 PM
T
No, the wall is not newly framed. It's the same wall, and garage door opener, from when we moved in 8 years ago. The problem just started a few weeks back.

I do have 2 adjustments on the motor (force open and force close). Messed with them both. It will not close all the way, even with the force close turned all the way up.

Thanks for the response though...

Old 07-02-12, 07:38 AM
F
Did this just suddenly start or have you done work on the door or opener? I would like to see the trolley when this reversal happens. Could you post another video?

Old 07-02-12, 06:47 PM
T
I haven't done any recent work on the garage door or opener.

Where exactly should I videotape from?

Old 07-03-12, 06:46 AM
F
I would like to see the chain and trolley when it closes. It sounds like the trolley is running into something but I can't tell.

Old 07-03-12, 06:43 PM
T
Garage Door Opener 1 - YouTube

Garage Door Opener 2 - YouTube

Garage Door Opener 3 - YouTube

Here's a few more videos at different angles. I have the entire "shell" of the trolley pulled off. The system is quite a bit shaky when coming down.

I also noticed that the black plastic piece in the front, where the light bulb comes out, is bent at the top, and broken off at the corner by the bolt. Could something be hitting that?

Old 07-05-12, 12:57 PM
F
I am completely mystified.

Old 07-05-12, 02:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With that much vibration in the head, there may be gear damage inside. That's the only thing I can see. Not sure what plastic piece you are talking about, either.

Old 07-05-12, 07:33 PM
T
Its the large black plastic piece behind the light bulb that's broken.

Sounds like I should look into a new garage door opener, since it may be too complicated to fix?

Old 07-05-12, 09:17 PM
A
Just cruising by..........

I just happened to join this forum today and noticed your posting on a Genie garage door opener. I have issues with my brand new Genie opener but will start another thread.

I had a similar type problem like yours and mine was pretty simple. Those pesky lights at the bottom of the door had a spider's web/nest in front of one of the lenses!

BTW, my old Genie opener lasted 11 years before going out. I found out that the average garage door opener lasts about 10 years.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-12, 12:11 PM
G
Genie ChainGlide Problem

Firstly, this is the cheapest of cheap Genie openers and they no longer manufacture this machine. What your problem is, is what was mentioned above, the plastic housing is broken. The chain on this opener is sucked into the motor head and wraps up on top of the motor. The chain glides in the top of the motor have broken and the chain isn't properly feeding out. Get a new opener and enjoy no more hassle, because putting 1 cent into this ChainGlide is a waste of money. Get a conventional chain opener (runs like a bicycle). This ChainGlide opener was some engineer's pride and joy on paper, and a bad idea in the field. Everything in this opener is plastic.

Top see what the top looks like, here is a picture:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/aaare...tine175pix.jpg

Either that chain path is broken, or the housing that holds the gear in place has broken. The gear housing uses 3- 4-5" screws to hold two pieces of plastic in place to hold the drive gear.

Get a Liftmaster/Chamberlain opener and be done messing with your garage door opener!

Old 08-11-12, 06:03 PM
P
Garage Door opens, but won't close

I have an old Genie 450 Garage Door. I have an issue where I press the Garage opener button once to open, it opens. When I press it again to close, no response is given, but I hear a clicking sound coming from the radio unit. I have tested this out on my remote as well with the same result. As the door is in the up the position (at the limit mark). I went to press the close with no response. I pressed it again an the door went past the limit mark, only to stop at the very end of the rail.

Does anyone have any tips or solutions to my problem?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: