New Garage design (shell layout)

Old 07-05-12, 08:40 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
New Garage design (shell layout)

I am currently in the begining stages of designing/modelling my dream garage (within wife's set restrictions of course).

The restrictions of the design are;
- 32ft deep, 36ft wide, with 10ft ceiling.
- Year round usability (temp range +35'C to -35'C)
- Must be able to store summer car during the winter
- Must not be ugly

Currently we have two vehicles, one which I park for the winter.
Only a couple toys will be stored in there (don't have too many yet, working on it). Seasonal yard equipment will also be stored in there and my workshop will be relocated from the basement to the garage (small home DIY wood, fiberglass, spray paint).
I also plan to detail the cars regularly within the garage.

Now that all that is out of the way, here are two basic designs I have thrown together. These are rough envelop models, so there is really not much detail other then the openings and shell. The models are backwards so you are looking south (instead of North), as though you where standing at the house looking into the back yard.
Here is a basic sketch of where the garage is going. This sketch is by no means to scale.
Name:  property.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  20.5 KB

This first one has 2 12ft bay doors offset to the one side to line up to where the driveway will be extended to. A man door will be setup on the East (right) side which will enter into the general workshop/tool location.
Name:  garage2DoorsISO.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  9.6 KB

Name:  garage2DoorsFrontish.jpg
Views: 2580
Size:  11.0 KB

Name:  garage2DoorsRightISO.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  10.0 KB

3D PDF that will allow you to rotate the model and see it from any angle (requires adobe reader 7 or better).
garage2Doors.pdf

This second design is similar, but with 3 10ft doors. The one on the right (East) side will be in the general workshop area.
Name:  garage3DoorsISO.jpg
Views: 2264
Size:  11.6 KB

Name:  garage3DoorsFrontish.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  garage3DoorsRightISO.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  10.6 KB

3D PDF that will allow you to rotate the model and see it from any angle (requires adobe reader 7 or better).
garage3Doors.pdf

So... Any thoughts? Suggestions or recommendations?

Old 07-05-12, 09:03 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I'm not sure what the extra door gains you. Other than that, my mouth is watering even though I'll never get to use the garage....

Personally, I spray paint outside, as I find it's too difficult to control the overspray inside without having a dedicated paint booth.

What are you planning for heat? I love in-floor radiant in a garage, especially when you have to get down on the ground to crawl under a car.

Old 07-05-12, 09:21 AM
N
I would like to incorporate a small spray booth, but I don't think the build budget will allow for it in the original build. Might be able to squeak it in there though.
As for the extra door, I didn't really want a third bay door as it would make the others all smaller and take away some wall space in the workshop area.
If I go with 2 doors, I'll go with larger doors and have more wall space in the workshop end.

As for heating... I'm seriously looking into going geothermal for the house, so if I do, I'll be going straight to in floor heating and never look back. If I don't go that route, not 100% sure as to what heating to go with. Natural Gas isn't available, so I'd have to do another direction.

I should mention that the far left (west) bay will be where the van will come and go during the winter time.

Old 07-05-12, 07:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd go with the two door, but put the access door on the front, not the side. Then you can pour a short walkway from the driveway to the access door. That will make it easer to get the snow blower out. -35C (-30F) is damn cold.

Old 07-06-12, 06:05 AM
N
The man door on the front does make sense for the reasons given.
Not really a fan of the man door on the front, but I cannot come up with a valid reason for having it on the side.
In my original post, I did make a mistake as the man door would be on the West side (bay doors facing North).

The only argument I can come up with for having the man door on the West would be the way the snow would/could drift. Even that is not a great argument.

As for the tempuratures... Those are really the extremes we'll see in a year. We'll see those tempuratures in a year, but only a couple times.

Could be worse, the project I am working on has a design temp range of +/-50'C.

Old 07-15-12, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Why not do yourself a big favor, and extend the entire roof over the approach driveway (from the garage doors forward) at least 24 feet? That way, the snow blowing/shoveling will be a lot easier, you will have covered vehicle storage outside of the garage, it would be a great location for spray painting, and if you frame the roof extension with joists/rafters instead of trusses, you'll have a ton of extra storage space that although unheated, will always come in handy. Doing so will also shorten the unprotected walking distance between house and garage considerably (it does rain as well as snow up there, right?).

Old 07-16-12, 05:48 AM
N
Not too sure about extending the roof that far forward. That would make the garage in theory ~56ft deep.

As for spraying outdoors, the camo work I do for my wife's buisness would be ok, but any of the car work I do would need to be in a controlled area. The last few parts I did (at the old house) where for my car which is a high gloss black with metalic flake. That stuff will show every defect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: