How do I disable Genie motion detector?

Old 10-11-12, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I disable Genie motion detector?

I have a Genie PowerMax 1200 (Revolution Series) garage door opener with the motion detector. The problem is that the IR sensor is causing false lighting, both day and night. What's worse is that there is a window between the garage and the master bedroom, so this problem is resulting in my wife and myself losing sleep. How do I disable this feature without losing the capability for the lights turning on automatically when the door is opened or closed, or losing the capability for the lights turning off automatically after 4 minutes?

Note that I am reasonably capable with electronic tools. If someone could provide a link to an electronic schematic and simply tell me which changes to make, I would be able to do this. I should also be able to wire in a switch so that I could enable and disable this feature as needed.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-12, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Page 20 of your manual should have a basic diagram. Looks like you should be able to unplug or disconnect the motion sensor. If you can locate it's "eye", some black tape or duct tape over it might be simpler. Sorry, I can't tell you exactly what it looks like or where it is...but it should be pretty easy to find.

I do have to ask.....how do you have a window between the garage and living space? AFAIK that would be against any building/fire code for at least the last 20 yrs or more.

Old 10-11-12, 12:11 PM
P20 of the manual shows external wiring but offers no information about the motion sensor. I could put black tape over the sensor or spray paint it black, but this would look very unprofessional. I'll see if the sensor can be unplugged and post something back here letting you know how it went.

BTW - the house was built in 1957 with a 2-car carport. Later the carport was converted into a garage.

- Bill

Old 10-11-12, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Sorry...I should have posted a link to the manual I found, might be different from what you have...what I saw was a diagram for mostly internal connections, except for the wall buttons and sensors. If that motion detector is indeed an external connection...would make the job easier. http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...manual_eng.pdf

Who would notice a piece of black tape over a sensor on an opener? Lol...not me!

If you find the connections...should be simple to wire a DPDT switch in somehow. Though just switching the ground might work also.

As to the enclosed carport thing...has any inspector ever brought it up at a change of owners? That would be a major issue in my experience.

Old 10-11-12, 01:00 PM
Fixed - it took 10 minutes. There is a plug on the circuit board with 3 wires (black, yellow, red). I disconnected the harness plug and the motion sensor now no longer works. I fully tested the unit and everything else works fine, just no more light-on when the sensor thinks it has detected movement.

As for taping the sensor with black electrical tape, I'm in Tucson and the garage gets as hot as Hades in the summer. The heat would loosen the tape, eventually dropping it off the sensor leaving a sticky mess and a functional motion sensor in its place. I see you are in Northern AZ . . . trust me when I say there's a world of difference between your weather and Tucson's!

I purchased the house in 2004 at which time the carport to garage conversion had already been done. I did have an inspection done prior to purchase but this "problem" was not pointed out to me.

Thanks for the help!

- Bill

Old 10-11-12, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Glad you found the plug...figgered that's what it was.

Your home inspector (or the Real Estate Agents inspector) did you wrong...I have to say. The fact the carport was enclosed and the window left in place tells me it was probably not inspected. Either that or the window was added later...though I doubt that. There needs to be a 60 min(?) fire barrier between any attached garage and the living space. All penetrations between garage and home that can allow smoke, fire, or fumes needs to be sealed with a fireproof material.

If you think about selling in the future...I'd get an independent opinion on if it needs to be fixed before sale. I know if I was looking at it...it would raise a big red flag on other work that may have been done incorrectly.

Old 10-13-12, 07:20 AM
Open the operator head, the circuit board is in the bottom. The motion sensor is plugged into a small 3 pin connector unplug it and secure the wires so the plug isn't on the board. There are 2 small connectors make sure it's the 3 pin, the 4 pin connector is the limits. The larger connectors are power, lights and motor. they are white, the small ones are green.