Problems with the garage door opener CLOSING the door.

Old 02-12-13, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problems with the garage door opener CLOSING the door.

Ok, so a few weeks ago, I hit the button to close the garage door and unbeknownst to me, there was something in the way. We have a sensor, but the thing in the way had holes and the beam passed through. (How's that for luck) as the door attempted to come down, the obstacle stopped it but the motor kept pushing. I heard the noise and looked to see the top of the garage door buckling downwards.

I hit the button to reverse travel and it came up ok. However once the object was removed, it continues to buckle at that point.

If I unlock the travel and manually move it, it goes up and down fine and smoothly. But via the opener, only up. Down always buckles. I have inspected the top rail and see no major bends or the like and all the rollers seem to be mirrored and in the right place.

I have a suspicion that when it was installed it was on the cusp of incorrect, but it worked. Now I have something whacked that is causing the push rod to be just a little bit in the wrong angle or something like that.

Its a rental so I really need to take care of it myself.

I have more than the requisite tools and the ability to use them. Any suggestions on what might be wrong or can you point me to a good install guide so I can confirm that things are correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-13, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
It sounds like where the opener arm was connected might be a potential weak spot.

Very hard to help you without seeing it. A pic or two would be a great help.

Old 02-12-13, 09:56 PM
The bracket that connects the door to the arm was bent but I removed it and straightened it.

What would you like pictures of? I just went into the garage to take a pic but realized I had no idea what to take a pic of.

Old 02-12-13, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
The top of the door where the bracket mounts.
That's where the issue is....correct ?

Old 02-14-13, 10:39 PM
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2393
Size:  32.5 KBOk, so after finding the manual etc. I am not much farther along than I was. One thing that seems to deviate from best practices is that the J coming down off the track is not attached to a "bracing" bar that spans the first section. They took the door and put a piece of angle iron across the top and anchored the j to the very top of the garage door. (See pic)

to try to explain the issue a little better: if I manually roll the door up and down by hand, it seems to go fine. No issues.

Once I engage the motor... The door goes up fine. However when I press the down button, the door goes down about one section and then the J no longer has the right angle and it no longer keeps pushing the door back (towards the opening) but it starts pushing the door down as if the door was stuck and it starts to buckle. (The opening force adjustments were never set. )