Turning 2 doors into 1

Old 04-13-13, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Turning 2 doors into 1

I have a garage that has 2 old garage doors that are 8 ft wide. There is approx 2 ft between the doors. I want to remove the column and install a 18 ft single door. My question is about the size of the opening. It measures 17ft 8 inches. Will I have to order a custom sized door or will an 18 ft door work? What problems will I have due to the difference?
Forgot to mention the reason for needing the larger opening is my new truck is too wide for the 8ft opening. I now have to fold my mirrors in every time I pull in to the garage. I don't think I can do two 9 ft wide doors. One big one sounds like it would work better.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-13, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The main problem is removing the center support. Even when the opening is originally intended for 16 feet I have seen them sagging after a few years. You need a structural engineer to determine if it is possible and how. Based on all the sagging doors I've seen with wood beams I'd suggest a steel beam.

Old 04-13-13, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, it will be custom size...unless you build the opening down to 16'. You'll probably have to re-frame the entire door anyway...including the header. When you remove that center support, unlikely the header will be sized correctly for the resulting span you will have. It will have to be replaced...either with an engineered beam or steel.

Old 04-13-13, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
What's the reason the opening can't be made bigger? After all, as Vic says, you will be putting in a new header either way. The number of king and jack studs varies with both the length of the header and the spacing of the wall studs. (See R603.7 Jack and king studs)

To comply with that code, if the walls are framed 16" OC, you need a minimum of 17' 9" of wall space for a 16' rough opening. An 18' rough opening would require a minimum of 20' of wall space, due to there being 8 studs (12") of framing on each side of the RO.

Old 04-13-13, 01:15 PM
I was going to get an LVL beam sized accordingly. My main concern was the 17'8" opening with an 18ft door. Once I get into it I may be able to change the rough opening enough to make it work.

Old 04-13-13, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Folding the mirrors seems like a small price vs the thousands it will cost to change to a single wide door. You might want to check on the price of a custom width door if you plan to go that way. Height they can adjust by mixing panel heights...width is more complicated and expensive. I just checked on a basic 16' x 7' insulated door for DIY install for my neighbor. About $900. Windows, insulation, etc can really drive the cost up.

What about just widening one door to 9' (a standard size)?

Old 04-13-13, 07:02 PM
What kind of truck did you buy? Kenworth or Peterbilt? Didn't realize standard-sized pickups wouldn't fit through a standard garage door anymore.

Before spending umpteen thousand on a custom, wider door (and associated engineering costs, new header, framing, sheetrock work, etc.), I'd either park the thing outside or fold in the mirrors. I've owned 7 or 8 pickups since buying my first one almost 50 years ago, and not a single one of them ever spent a night parked in a garage.

Old 04-13-13, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I have to take back what I said earlier, I was looking at the wrong page in the IRC.... and was looking at steel framing. DOH! (thanks Gary!)

Your properly sized LVL would need to be supported by 2 or 3 jack studs, depending on the bearing load.

Old 04-14-13, 07:41 AM
Sorry Bridge, I like to keep my truck out of the elements as much as possible. I don't know where you live but we have things called frost, ice, and snow. When I get in my truck and leave in the mornings it is much nicer not to have to clear these from my windows. I also said I have to fold my mirrors in to pull through the old standard 8 ft wide opening. That's kind of a pain to do every time I pull in and out of my garage.
Why spend the money to change the doors?...Wife and I have been wanting to dress up the old garage a bit and a new door with windows is what we have been looking at.
As far as price, I found an 18 ft insulated door with windows for around $1,000. A custom sized door is going to be about $1,500.

Old 04-14-13, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Since you have to replace the header and re-frame...just make the rough opening of the door 18', once you add trim and the vinyl flap sealing trim it will cover about 3/4-1" of the door edges...which is perfect.

Or buy a new truck with power folding mirrors? Lol....j/k.

Old 04-14-13, 12:13 PM
Checked into replacing my mirrors with power folding. Strangely enough they were nearly the same cost as a new door!

Old 04-14-13, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Ouch.....that hurts...though not that strange...manufacturers love to bite you for replacement parts.

Old 04-14-13, 03:32 PM
just an FYI for people thinking about "custom door sizes".

if your opening is 17' 9" x 8 you will buy a 18 X 8 door and pay a cut down fee. its not that much. the real investment is building the header.