garage door replacement

Old 05-20-13, 07:08 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
garage door replacement

I need to replace my garage door....16 x 6.6 ....what should I look for in a
decent insulated steel door?.... I plan on installing the door myself....is home depot or lowes the places I should be looking?....any ideas on a particular manufacturer?....Thanks

Old 05-20-13, 04:16 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
call your local garage door pros and ask for cash-n-carry prices on 2" insulated doors. the do-it-yourselfer insulation job often costs more in the end and stresses the door in ways that will make it fail sooner.

Old 05-20-13, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If it's really 6'6"...that's going to be a special order almost anywhere. No expert, but I've never had issues with any of the DIY install doors as long as you follow instructions, but I've only done 4 or 5 and they were all Clopay. I like their system a bit better than the others I've seen. I wouldn't recommend trying to install a door designed for Pro install...can be dangerous.

I like Clopay because they have a steel inner skin if you go with their 2" thick upper range door, which I like a lot. Less chance of damage from the interior and really helps with sound as well as a higher R-value. They also make a 1 1/2" thick door with the same construction, but lower R-value.

I'm just not a fan of Wayne-Dalton...though they are supposed to be good doors. Don't like the look of the interior and the company has been a PITA the few times I dealt with them. No experience with other brands.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: