Replaced solid door side springs - too much lift force!

Old 05-30-13, 08:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replaced solid door side springs - too much lift force!

I have a two car single piece wood door. One of the springs on the side (2 on each side) broke so bought four replacements at Lowes. Old springs were all stamped P728. New springs were labelled P728C. With the door fully open the three remaining springs were still under tension, but my son and I were able to muscle them off without a come-along. We installed the new springs, but were not able to manually stretch them to connect into the same point on the upper bracket as the old springs. (Connected at bottom with fixed length of chain bolted to door frame.) What this meant was that in the door open position the springs were shorter than originally and in the fully closed position they were longer than originally, leading to more lift force on the closed door. It was so much more that (surprisingly) we could not keep the door closed. My question is that if we do use a come-along to stretch the springs a bit further (like an inch or a bit more) to connect to the original location on the bracket, will this make enough of a difference to the lift force so the door will operate properly? Or is it time to surrender and call in a door service tech?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-13, 10:03 AM
L
You are doing the right thing by replacing all four springs at the same time. These springs do seem to lose some of their strength after a period of use and replacing all at once will keep both sides balanced properly.

Be sure that you brace the door in the up position so that it will not fall when you attempt to adjust the springs!

The "C" on the springs that you bought merely indicates that it includes the end "connector". Otherwise, it should be an identical replacement.

Assuming that the door opened properly before the spring broke, you should attach the upper end of the springs into the same point on the upper bracket as was originally installed. Since the new springs may be a little stouter than the old ones, you may need to add some length to the chain on the bottom. If you are already on the last link, I would suggest that you go to the hardware store an buy a couple of replacement chains that are a little longer (you can always cut off the excess if you get it too long).

Please let us know how this works out.

Old 07-01-13, 06:19 PM
T
Just to follow up and let all know how I fixed this issue. I removed the chains at the bottom of each spring pair and replaced them with a Holmes Adjusta Matic Spring Anchor Replacement Kit LJ-IP, which I found at my local Lowes. I had to drill a new pilot hole for the mounting bolts so I could install these, but once installed it was easy to tighten the nuts on the "U" bracket to put tension into the springs.

Not sure if this is a discontinued item or not. I paid about $2 for the pair (the package had been opened and it was the last one on the shelf).

Name:  Holmes spring anchor.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  31.9 KB

It was super easy and the door works perfectly now.