Cold Solder Joint

Old 06-21-13, 06:01 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold Solder Joint

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...g-5-times.html

My 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener stopped working the other day and gave me the "led blinking 5 times" code. As I was working on it, I also noticed that the motor would turn in the door open direction (up), but not the door close direction (down). After researching the problem a bit, I located a cold (loose) solder joint on the logic board that seemed to be the culprit.

The solder joint is behind/near the transformer on the back of the unit, and it appears to be where a relay attaches. This particular connection also seems to trace to the multi-wire plug that everything attaches to - and more specifically, the red lead that goes to the motor-start capacitor.

After removing the two screws that hold the logic board to the frame, I was able to swing the board around for better access. I cleaned off the questionable solder joint and re-soldered it. Voila, problem solved! The door goes up and down now just like it always has!

Last edited by ray2047; 07-04-13 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-23-13, 09:20 PM
J
Having similar problems. the liftmaster won't close unless i hold the wall button down continuously. if just hit once, travels a few inches and then reverses. will not respond to hand remote.

Anyone sort out the issue and how to fix?

Old 07-04-13, 07:16 AM
D
door sensors

Jay your problem is different and your solution is that one of the security sensors at the bottom of the door is bad

Old 07-04-13, 09:10 AM
D
light flashing 5 times

Mine was doing the same thing I unplugged for 5 minutes, and I also increased the opening and or closing force whichever is giving you the problem. My unit would not open so I increased the opening force, it worked immediately. I then reset the unit for the proper force.

Drew

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: