Is garage door trim/Jamb structural?

Old 08-07-13, 05:53 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is garage door trim/Jamb structural?

I apologize up front for the lack of knowledge I have on this.

When the builder built my house back in 1999, they used a 2x6 for the garage door trim/jamb and painted it white.

There are 2 other 2x6 boards on the inside of this painted board and a header above, which is supported by the other 2 2x6 boards.

I would like to remove the painted 2x6 and replace it with PVC trim.

Is there any chance the painted 2x6 is structural, or is there a way to determine this? I wrote the builder, but have gotten no reply after several attempts. I'm not even sure they are in business any more.

Old 08-07-13, 09:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Normally a jamb isn't structural but it would be nice to see some pics of what you have just to make sure.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 08-07-13, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If the two 2x6's are both UNDER the header, then the 3rd one is probably not structural. How long is the header?

If one is alongside the header and one is under the header, then the 2nd one is definitely structural, since a long header needs 2 or more trimmers.

Old 08-07-13, 05:25 PM
A
I have a few pictures of the jamb and the header. Two are of the upper corner (one inside one outside of garage). The last picture shows the inside bottom. The two boards next to the painted one have a different arrangement than the painted board. Sorry about the quality of the pics, it's hard to get a good view with the garage door installed.

Attached Images    
Old 08-07-13, 05:30 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's not holding up anything.
One of the reasons your seeing water damage is there was no Z molding behind that J molding.
I'd bet there's also no flashing and or house wrap behind that siding.
Where do you plan on finding 1-1/2 thick PVC?
The J molding was also installed wrong, it's causing the water to run down behind the siding, not down the J molding like it should.
There should have been a tab cut out on the top piece that gets bent over and goes inside the side piece.

Old 08-07-13, 05:59 PM
A
That was kind of a bad pic of the interior, I'm not really sure it's water damage vs. wood grain - and the lighting kind of stinks in that corner. I attached a somewhat better pic of that side, and a pic of the opposite side. I will check it out though if I do go through with this. I don't have 1 1/2 inch PVC, I was planning on putting on a 1" board and then topping it with a 1" pvc board, then putting brickmold in front...unless I can find something better. I was initially going to have it capped by a siding company, but I really don't like the way that looks.

Attached Images   
Old 08-07-13, 06:07 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Any PVC brick molding I've seen comes with at least a 2" wide profile, may have to rip it on a table saw.
Make sure it sets in from the J molding, not flush or proud.

Old 08-08-13, 05:53 AM
A
You're right on about the brickmold, so I'm not doing that. No matter how cleanly I ripped it, It would always bug me that I had to modify it. And it would definately stick out too far.

They do make some 1x2 PVC trim, and I was thinking of just using that as a trim around the outside. It may look better than the peeling paint (I hate painting), even though it had no routed pattern on it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: