Building carport with columns

Old 10-01-13, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building carport with columns

I plan to build a detached carport 20' Wx21' D on existing concrete driveway. I also will be using custom built trusses. I will be using 2x6's as support beams for the trusses. I would like to use) (7) 8"x10' FRP columns with Tuscan Base & Capital. I have a concern that this will not be supportive enough with high winds. Can someone give me additional pointers for best way to build to protect against long range damage beyond what is posted here? Would placing an insert in columns make them sturdier. Can you brace the columns to trusses? Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by chandler; 10-01-13 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Moved post to its own thread
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 05:43 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
First of all, you may need footings, to comply with code. Posts on top of concrete is a thing of the past. The last thing you want is some inspector telling you that it's not right. Ask a local architect.

Old 10-02-13, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 273 Posts
So many concerns... It's hard to say much without seeing a drawing or sketch of what you are planning. As Pulpo mentioned your first step should be to contact your local Building Insepctions Dept. They will be able to tell you what they want to see in a structure. You may also need a zoning permit which is usually a separate department.

With any roof and especially since your structure will be open on all sides holding the roof down during high winds is very important. Hurricane straps and other brackets are commonly required now to maintain a good load path all the way down to the foundation/footers. Your local codes will dictate what is required.