Garage Door Wobbles in Track when Closed!

Old 10-10-13, 07:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Wobbles in Track when Closed!

Hi,

I have a sectional garage door with a 1/2 HP opener. When I push on the closed garage door, the rollers in the center wobble freely in their tracks, and the whole mid section of the door moves. It also does that when I open the door to the garage to the house and close it. It is like the space in the tracks are wider than than the roller. This only happens with the rollers in the middle and not the top and bottom rollers, and does leave a gap where cold air can get in, and possibly rain and snow.

What do I do?

Thanks,
Hasan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 07:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 156 Posts
Welcome, Hasan!

Garage door rollers fit loosely in the tracks, and they have a lot of play. So I'm not sure if what you are trying to describe is normal or not. The rollers obviously should not chatter up and down or bind in any way. If that's the case...

First thing I'd do is close the door. Observe the distance between the side of the door and the track. Is the gap between the door and the track straight and even? Take a 78" level and use it as a straightedge to check the tracks on each side to see if they are straight (not plumb or level)... or if they are bowed. Check each side, left and right. Adjust the brackets if needed. Lay the level on the door and see if any of the roller brackets need to be adjusted in or out to keep the door rolling in the same plane.

Next thing I'd check is whether or not all of the rollers and bearings are in good shape. If the rollers themselves are loose in the bearings and wiggle up and down, then they probably need to be replaced. If they are tight and won't slide left or right, and won't turn, then they may need garage door lubricant. Or it could be that some of the screws have come loose or something... hard telling.

Garage door parts are available at most box stores and at larger hardware stores, if needed.

Old 10-10-13, 08:05 AM
Thank your for your response,

I apologize but I may have not explained the situation properly. The rollers themselves are not loose in the bearings, but the whole section in the middle moves freely in the track (not up and down but between the walls of the tracks) when the garage door is closed. It's kind of hard to explain. The garage door section moves freely because there's space for the rollers to move freely between the walls of the tracks, and again this happens with the two middle rollers only.

Old 10-10-13, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Are the rollers the same size in all sections? Sound like smaller diameter rollers were installed as replacements which gives the center sections room to wobble.

Old 10-10-13, 10:28 AM
Yes they are :S

Old 10-10-13, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 156 Posts
Check your hinges in the middle of the doors...down the center of the door. They should be tight.