Garage door opener.

Old 10-25-13, 04:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door opener.

Hi, I am having a problem with my craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener, it is 17 years old and just recently the remotes all of them 2 built in cars an 2 spare hand held plus the wireless keypad sometimes work and sometimes don't, the door opens and closes ok on the main wall switch, I removed the cover to find the green led is flashing 5 times and pausing and then flashes another 5 times and so on and so on.
Can anyone explain what is going on and how to solve this annoying problem?

Old 10-25-13, 07:27 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
First, you really need to post this as a new post.

We need the model number off your opener.

Kind of sounds like the receiver board died but without a model I'm just guessing.

Old 10-26-13, 09:32 PM
T
OK, I will re post tomorrow with the model number of the unit.
I'm sorry as you can see I'm new to this board.

Old 10-27-13, 03:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
welcome. That's OK, I moved the post to its own thread. We'll wait on the numbers. What year Triumph do you own? My last was a '73, wheels off restoration. Years ago.

Old 10-27-13, 07:15 PM
T
Thanks for moving my post, I have a 1970 TR6 restored in 2001 not showroom but a reliable 10 footer, great weekend fun drive out car with 2 local TR clubs.

Now back to my problem door opener:
Unit is Sears Best Craftsman 1/2 HP new in 10/95
model 139.53636 SRT part# 41a4315-6C (not sure what part this refers to) also has a number 101241A Canada.
All remotes, both hand held and two built in car units and wireless keypad worked today but did not work yesterday, unit also works with wall switch, led is flashing 5 times then pauses and flashes another 5 times etc.
No new electronics in the home to interfere with the wireless signal, is this signal interference or something to do with the unit? All help greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-13, 09:06 PM
G
The five blink code may mean a rpm sensor problem, or just an overheated motor. Try unplugging it for 15-30 minutes and then re-plug and try it.

Sears lists it as obsolete but still has some parts available. Due to the age, if major parts are needed, you may be ahead by looking for a new unit on sale.

Old 10-28-13, 06:15 AM
T
Post Garage Door Opener

Hi,
Thanks for your response, The wall switch and remotes worked fine this morning at 5.15 am, when I have the problem it is immediate so I don't know how it would be a overheating problem (I presume overheating comes from constant use)
I have not unplugged the main power to the unit yet but will do this evening when I return home from work, I still get the feeling it could be interference from an unknown signal?? I read somewhere that pointing the antenna in a different direction may overcome this and maybe changing the frequency of the unit? How do you change the frequency and do you think this is the problem??

Old 10-30-13, 04:43 PM
T
Anyone have any information on garage door signal blocking?

Old 10-30-13, 07:56 PM
G
Nothing on blocking or jamming - which would be illegal. Your receiver has a set frequency. You could consider changing to an aftermarket bolt on receiver which may have a different frequency setting - or not.

If your door were going up or down at random, I would consider an interfering signal but that does not seem to be your problem.

Old 10-31-13, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I've heard of people having issues from cordless phones and CFL light fixtures. It somehow overpowers the signal from the remotes. Any changes or additions of that sort in your house or a neighbors?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: