Garage door repair

Old 11-04-13, 12:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door repair

So i have a door similar to the one in this picture.

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/zip/4170745133.html

If I needed to replace a couple of the panels at the bottom, how would I go about doing that?

Old 11-04-13, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
Your link has been flagged for removal, so there's no pic there.
Can you just take a pic of your door, by chance?

Old 11-04-13, 12:47 PM
J
Well I am moving into the house on Thursday. The best I can for now is this

I have my walkthrough tonight, can try and get pics of the damage. Just wood paneled.

Old 11-04-13, 02:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Would you need to replace a whole garage door panel [8'-9' wide] or just one or two of the individual panels? You can probably cut plywood and use it to replace one of the individual panels but to replace an entire door panel, you'd need to contact the manufacture to see if they are even available - might be cheaper to install a new door.

Old 11-04-13, 06:52 PM
J
Well this is the damage. Isn't much, but would prefer to replace it if possible. I didn't know how to just remove that single square and put a new white square in to make it whole again.

Old 11-05-13, 04:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a little hard to tell from the pic but if the molding around the panel can be removed, you should be able to take the panel out and replace it with another one of the same size and thickness. If the 'molding' is part of the panel's frame - the job will be more difficult and you'll need to get a little creative. You'd need to cut the 'molding' off of one side to remove the panel and then figure out how to secure the new one in place [with new molding] The panels are usually loose fitted so they can expand and contract with temp/humidity changes.

Old 11-07-13, 06:10 PM
J
The molding can't be removed. I was thinking of just cutting a small line around the panel really carefully, replace panel, put trim back around.

Old 11-08-13, 03:20 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I was thinking of just cutting a small line around the panel really carefully, replace panel, put trim back around.
We used to do that to install windows, back in the day. Buy some quarter round to use as stop and brads to fasten it

Old 11-08-13, 04:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I doubt you'll be able to cut the molded part off and be able to reuse it .... but maybe you'll get lucky.
Make sure you only cut thru the inside portion. As Dave suggested you can use quarter round or most any wood that will fit to secure the new panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: