Garage With High Ceiling

Old 11-29-13, 05:35 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage With High Ceiling

Hello all. We are building a new house and the garage is going to have ceilings that are about 10' tall. The builder is going to have to install doors that lift higher because our entry from the house into the garage comes into the side and if they weren't higher, we would walk into them coming out of the house.

My question is, if they raise them, what is the likelihood I can use a regular garage door opener?

The doors are standard 7' doors. I am not sure how high the track will be yet, but I can probably have a little impact on that decision depending on the feedback I get from you guys. I'm just hoping to avoid a super expensive garage door opener.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 11-29-13, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Most/all door openers have kits available to extend the tracks to accommodate taller doors.

Old 11-29-13, 05:52 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Can not see your house from here but I think I would have taken advantage of the height and had them frame the opening for a taller door.
That way if you ever have a roof rack, buy a boat ECT. it will still fit.
I build all my garages with 10' ceilings, my overhead door guys never had any issues with installing the opener and even mentions he would have suggested doing it that way.

Old 11-29-13, 04:13 PM
B
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Most/all door openers have kits available to extend the tracks to accommodate taller doors.
It's not the door that's taller. It's the ceiling that is taller. Or are those things equivalent in the world of openers?

Old 11-29-13, 04:17 PM
B
Originally Posted by joecaption1
Can not see your house from here but I think I would have taken advantage of the height and had them frame the opening for a taller door.
That way if you ever have a roof rack, buy a boat ECT. it will still fit.
I build all my garages with 10' ceilings, my overhead door guys never had any issues with installing the opener and even mentions he would have suggested doing it that way.
Unfortunately at this point the door size is fixed. My wife wouldn't go with a bigger door when we were designing.

Old 11-30-13, 01:14 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your mistake was either:
1. Marrying the wrong woman.
2. Not explaining to her that a taller door costing $400 more than a standard one would increase the resale value of your place by several thousand $$$.

Old 11-30-13, 02:14 AM
B
Originally Posted by BridgeMan45
Your mistake was either:
1. Marrying the wrong woman.
2. Not explaining to her that a taller door costing $400 more than a standard one would increase the resale value of your place by several thousand $$$.
Number 2 might be possible. But a standard opener should be OK even with the high lift correct?

Old 11-30-13, 03:41 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
No a standard door opener will not work with a high lift door, you either need to put in a dummy section on top of the top section ( making the door higher inside but not outside) to attach the opener arm too. Or install a liftmaster model 3800 jack shaft opener. I would use the jack shaft style opener

Old 11-30-13, 04:26 AM
B
Originally Posted by Doorman2722
No a standard door opener will not work with a high lift door, you either need to put in a dummy section on top of the top section ( making the door higher inside but not outside) to attach the opener arm too. Or install a liftmaster model 3800 jack shaft opener. I would use the jack shaft style opener
So is there a height of the rails that a standard opener will work? Say the only raise the rails a foot or two. I'm doing what I can to avoid having to go back and get different openers and rewire the garage or refrain and install different garage doors.

Old 11-30-13, 04:25 PM
If you can imagine a door opener arm atatched to the top section, it will try to pull it back before the door will go up and bend the top section. I wouldn't add more than 6 inches of high lift and use a regular opener. If a regular opener is used, you will need a longer arm and maybe a longer rail
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...a/DSC02325.jpg

Old 11-30-13, 05:28 PM
B
Thanks so much. That's exactly what I figured. I am going to just go with the liftmaster. I think it will actually work better in the long run as it is an install I can easily do myself. I am asking the builder to install an extra outlet (between the two doors) and I'll install the openers there. I am also going to ask them to run extra wire. I'd do it all myself but the garage will be drywalled so I can't. Thanks for all your help!

Old 12-01-13, 03:31 AM
Sorry, the new model number is 8500, the 3800 was the previous model. the 8500 can be setup to open and close from your smart phone anywhere in the world here is the manual http://www.liftmaster.com/CatalogRes...s/114A4565.pdf

Old 12-01-13, 01:52 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Matt,

Since you have the luxury of requesting favors of the builder, have him install a wall switch controlling the outlet that the openers are plugged into. That way, you have the extra security of cutting the power to the openers, for when you leave the house for extended periods of time or even every night before going to bed. Low lifes have been known to cruise neighborhoods late at night, often using a stash of stolen openers they hope hit the jackpot by getting lucky with frequencies/codes. They'll clean out your garage in a minute or two after the main door goes up.

Old 12-02-13, 02:24 PM
B
So what i found out was that they just replaced the 12" radius on the rails with a 32" radius section. The builder said that the height should still work with a standard opener. Any thoughts?

Old 12-02-13, 04:26 PM
I've used 32" Radius before, a longer opener rail might be needed, a longer opener arm will have to be fabricated

Old 12-02-13, 04:34 PM
B
That's what I kind of figured. I'm actually still inclined to use the jack lift as it will be an easier install for me. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: