Old non-remote garage door opener upgrade to remote possible?

Old 12-06-13, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old non-remote garage door opener upgrade to remote possible?

My garage has an old 1/3 HP garage door opener hardwired to two simple push buttons on each end of the garage. It works just fine and I don't plan on replacing it. However, it would be more convenient for my wife to be able to open it remotely when she arrives/leaves with the baby.

Is it possible to retro-fit some kind of a universal remote control to operate this old non-remote controlled garage opener?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-13, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No make or model # posted, not sure how anyone would know.
Contacted the manufacture or an overhead door company yet to see?

Old 12-06-13, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A few years ago, Sears sold retrofit/replacement garage door opener controls, and the receiver mounted either near the opener or on the wall near one of the pushbuttons. The receiver portion wires in parallel to the pushbutton circuit, and the system comes with a matching remote for the car. If you can't find this system at Sears anymore, you might try a garage-door dealer or big-box home improvement store. I used this type of retrofit radio controlled opener system for several years on an older opener for which I could not find remotes for anymore.

Old 12-06-13, 06:49 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Google " universal garage door receiver " and you should find some. Easiest to hook up require a 120 V outlet for a transformer and then you just run two wires to your regular pushbutton.

There are some that will hook directly to the opener but without knowing your make and model, I think the above type is best for you.

Old 12-07-13, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
I'd like to note something here. Using a remote on an old opener that doesn't have all the newest safety features can be very dangerous. You have to be careful to stay and watch the door open and close. Esp when the child is a bit bigger.

I'd also compare the cost of the universal kit (normally with just one remote) to the cost of a new opener with multiple remotes, keypad, safety sensors, etc. Looking at WalMart, I see a universal kit for $62 vs a new opener with all I mentioned for $158. For me, I'd have to spend the extra bucks.

One other note.... a "universal garage door receiver" as mentioned, may not actually be a complete remote control kit. Some are upgrades to allow smartphones or alarm systems to operate the door. I've seen some that still require your opener to have it's own remote function (the new receiver is not hard wired to the opener) as they just retransmit the correct signal when activated. Just make sure you know what you are getting and what comes with it.

Old 12-07-13, 09:17 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
I agree with with Gunguy. If the openers are that old , you're due for new ones. Besides it will give the house more "saleability" with updated safety features since garage door openers are becoming common place nowadays.

Old 12-07-13, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm posting pictures of the device. As you'll see it is pretty old. Googling the names listed on its label didn't turn out any solid leads.

However, considering it's in a good working condition and it's a screw type opener I still consider the option of retrofitting it with a 3rd party remote control.

Old 12-07-13, 09:50 AM
You'll spend as much on materials combined with time and effort as buying a new unit that is all set with the latest features. Your bracing and door headers are already in place, so that is the biggest problem already solved. Just pop in a new Sears unit and your good to go. Besides as was stated before, a retrofit may not meet current safety codes and God forbid if a kid or pet should get caught in a closing garage door that is not up to current safety standards.

Old 12-07-13, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Ahhhh I do see a complication with installing a new opener that might make it more work than I thought.

I see conduit for the power? Wonder if that's a requirement in your area? A lot more involved if so.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-07-13 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-07-13, 10:45 AM
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
I see Murphy's Law possibly taking place. Shortly after you install the remote receiver would be about the time the door opener would take it's last gasp based on it's age. So I also vote for the new opener. Just a thought..

Old 12-07-13, 12:18 PM
@Norm201,

You have a good point about the safety aspect of a retro-fit. Ideally, it would be nice to find an add-on that includes the optical sensors.

@Gunguy45,

No bare electrical wires are allowed in my area, so modifying the conduit to fit a new unit may be necessary, however, that's not a big issue.

@Ron53,

That's probably the biggest selling point for a new unit. Do it once, and do it right.

Thanks to all for your input. I'm going for a new unit.

Old 12-07-13, 02:17 PM
That's probably the biggest selling point for a new unit. Do it once, and do it right.

Thanks to all for your input. I'm going for a new unit.
Glad we could help.

God how I love spending other people's money.

Old 12-07-13, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator
I think you've made the right choice. Of course the replacement won't last as long or be problem free like the old one. What else is new?

Have to say, I have a 25 y/o Genie (only been here for 7 yrs) with an add on remote system, and though it's been relatively ok, I have had issues. Prob spent $100 in repairs over the last few years. If they had happened all at once I would have just bought new.