Main Garage Door Entrance

Old 02-04-14, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Main Garage Door Entrance

Most every time the wind is blowing towards the car garage door entrance I have either snow or water to push out.

I am looking at this product on Amazon,
Sensible Solutions 3020 Storm Shield 20-Foot Garage Door Threshold

Does anyone have any experience good or bad in northern climates. I have read reviews where they to use liquid nails instead do the supplied glue.

Thanks,
CDN

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-14, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you looked at the bottom of the door to see if the seal is in place and not coming out of the track?
Standing inside the garage can you see light coming in under the door? If so adjusting the down pressure may be enough to seal it up.
Is there seals on the sides of the door on the outside?

Old 02-05-14, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had the same issue here even with a new seal on the door bottom. The drive doesn't have much slope and is flush with the garage floor. Driving rain caused puddles inside. After checking around I finally found Tsunami Shield on Amazon (I think)...and at a much lower price than other sellers and products. Looks very similar to the one you listed.

It came with a tube of Liquid Nail and I had read some people had issues because the adhesive was old. I bought another tube and checked the date but I didn't need it. The stuff that came with the threshold was fine.

You have to clean the concrete well. I used a spray cleaner and water then a wipe down with mineral spirits right after I ordered the seal...and when it showed up a few days later, I vacuumed the area and wiped it down with alcohol. Installed per instructions and it's been working like a champ for 6 yrs.

I did have to run a small bead of silicone caulk around the ends to make sort of a dam...since the threshold is actually inside the garage and a bit of water still leaked in.

Old 02-05-14, 11:47 AM
Seal

Yes I usually replace my seal ever other year or so.

Here are a couple of pic's.

What you can't see is from where the door touches the bottom the concrete is slopped down. That I would think would reduce the water / snow getting in but it does not.

Old 02-05-14, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You replace the seal every few years? Why? Is it sticking and tearing? Just use some silicone spray or one of the car vinyl/tire preservatives twice a year.

I think the threshold would work well for you if installed correctly and the ends caulked like I mentioned.

Old 02-05-14, 06:05 PM
Smile Yes

Yes it usually gets stuck in the ice and tears. I like the silicone spray. I will try that first before the threshold.