Garage door torsion spring question

Old 02-13-14, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door torsion spring question

Hey guys I just have a quick question pertaining to the INSIDE DIAMETER. Both of my garage door torsion springs broke and I am looking to replace them. I did the measuring and I currently have .250 x 2 1/4 x 31. I know using the correct size can be crucial. But I was wondering if it would be okay to replace them with "2" inch ID instead of a "2 1/4" ID without causing any issues. There is a bit of price difference so if i could get the cheaper ones that would be nice. With that being said if its not a good idea I would rather just purchase the size I have being I know they are correct.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 04:17 AM
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
They need to be 34 and 1/4 inch long to be the same rate as a 2 1/2 inch ID spring... your new springs would be way to strong at 31 inch x 2 inch ID

Old 02-14-14, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try this website: Standard Garage Door Torsion Springs

You can select the spring that best meets your requirements. Keep in mind that the shorter the spring (with same diameter), the fewer number of cycles your spring will last. Unfortunately, the longer or bigger ID springs will cost more.

Also, if you go with the 2" X 34.25" instead of the 2" X 31.00", make sure that you have the extra 3" for each spring to fit. Don't forget that the wound length is going to be longer than the unwound length by the diameter of the wire times the number of winds (usually about 7).