Need help with some garage door opener questions

Old 02-19-14, 10:10 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help with some garage door opener questions

The building where I live has an automatic door opener for our underground parking garage. Back in January 2012, the door did not have a safety reversing sensor installed and the door came down on the roof and back of my vehicle, damaging it for over $5000. The bylaw here in Ontario (as of 1994) is that all garage doors must have a safety reversing sensor and safety features to allow the door to reverse back up or stop if it comes into contact with an object. The owner of my building installed the photo eye sensors the day after the accident but I don't believe they fully fixed the door.

For starters, the photo eye sensors are 24" off the floor, whereas most experts and manufacturers say they should be no more than 6" off the floor. As well, on Super Bowl Sunday this year (February 2nd, 2014), the garage door again hit my vehicle as I was going into our parking garage. The door came down, hit my bumper and took off my licence plate cover in the process (and left some scratches on the front bumper as well). However, the door did not reverse back up like it should've. After this latest accident, I did a test in which I tried to hold the door up from closing but I couldn't, no amount of force I gave it would have it reverse. Same thing for it opening, I couldn't hold it from opening it. I didn't try the 2x4 test though, I don't want to be responsible for damaging the door in any way, it's already in bad shape (it's an old wooden door).

Here's my questions:

1). Why would there be a need to put the sensors up at 24" high? What would be the logic for someone doing this?

2). If I provided a picture of the garage door opener, could someone tell me where the settings would be for the force adjustment to reverse the door when it strikes something?

I looked everywhere on the garage door opener (it's an old one for sure) but I couldn't find anything to indicate there's a force adjustment setting or button/knob for it.

I will post pictures soon of the opener if someone can help me out.

TIA

Old 02-19-14, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Post some pics...and give us the brand and model and we may be able to help...but its the managements problem. I wouldn't be messing with it.

Old 02-19-14, 04:15 PM
D
I now realize the pics I took of the garage door opener don't actually show what brand or model it is. All that's evident is the name of the company who most likely originally installed it, that's it.

I took pics from all sides but I don't even see any buttons or knobs for the force adjustment.

I didn't see any other wires or attachments for the force adjustment either. Does it have to be on the garage door opener or can it be a third party piece that hooks up to it?

Attached Images     
Old 02-19-14, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Wow...is that a center mounted unit (middle of the door) or does it mount to one side? Not that I'm an expert on these...but I have NEVER seem one like that! May be a commercial thing, but that looks like an old POS with many repairs done over the years.

I doubt it has any force adjustments...just limits.

Old 02-19-14, 07:28 PM
D
It's center mounted for sure. I tried to find a similar one online but I couldn't come up with anything either. I'm no expert on garage door openers but I've never seen one like this as well. I remember my parents bought an older home one time and the garage door opener was from the early 1980's and it looked newer than this one (more modern anyways).

I looked everywhere for the force adjustments, even screws in the sides of it but couldn't find a thing. I'm guessing the same as you, it probably doesn't have any at all.

My mistake though, I found the manufacturer on the garage opener. I thought it was the installer's name but it's Manaras and they make openers for industrial operations and apartment building garages. I'm going to contact them tomorrow with the product ID and serial # and see if they can tell me more about this model. I do know by going on the Manaras website this garage opener was discontinued for sure, I just need to know when it was discontinued and if it ever was equipped with something for force adjustment. My guess is that it never was manufactured with it.

Old 02-20-14, 02:30 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
I've seen those before but cant remember the brand name, extremely doubtful that has a reversing feature built in. If the eye sensors work they should be mounted at about 6 inches, we set them at 24 inches for big commercial trucks and fire trucks because that is about bumper height, Newer liftmaster commercial openers with RPM sensors will reverse provided the clutch is adjusted right. It appears that opener does not have a clutch... that is why you couldn't stop the door.

Old 02-20-14, 02:59 PM
D
Doorman2722:

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

It's manufactured by Manaras, a company out of Quebec, Canada. Judging by their website, I think they only do commercial openers (they have trolley and jackshaft openers and a wide range of commercial openers for residential and businesses). I had never heard of them either before last night, I thought Manaras was the company who installed it, not who manufactured it.

Our underground garage is tiny, the entrance only would fit an SUV (barely), no commercial trucks would ever get in there at all. Not sure why the eye sensors are mounted so high, would it make a difference if the garage ramp was coming down off the street? Even then, I took a level down with me and it's perfectly level at the entrance and more than a few feet towards the road. I know whoever installed it must've done it for a reason... whether it was incompetence or not, who knows?

I looked everywhere on the opener unit and couldn't find any indication of any reversal switch or settings. I emailed the company about it (it's a discontinued model) to see if there's any way a third-party attachment would be able to reverse it but I'm guessing that's not possible without a clutch if that's correct.

Old 02-21-14, 03:24 AM
Received 42 Upvotes on 41 Posts
That's the name I was thinking of, No not true, The clutch will not reverse direction of door, it should just slip and prevent entrapment or damage to equipment or door...but the motor will keep on running. some how Liftmaster makes it reverse with an RPM sensor built into the opener. Does your eye sensor reverse the door? if so get them lowered down and it should meet code

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: