Garage door no longer opens manually or electronically

Old 02-28-14, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door no longer opens manually or electronically

Greetings all,

Info:
My garage was built in the 1940s. It is a 4 unit garage for four condos, with no other access other than each garage door. To my knowledge all units have their own electric openers. My garage opener is a 15 year old champlain but it works well and I just replaced the internal gear coupling last year.

Problem:
As of 2 weeks ago my garage door stopped opening electronically or manually. It currently sits in closed position with a 2-4 inch opening on the bottom right, meaning it is slanted. I can view into my garage through the door window so I know that the left rail disengaged from the ceiling. This would explain the door trying to open on the right side but not the left.

If I could get in their I could find a way to reattach the rail but currently that's not possible. The door appears to be wedged on its track. I was thinking of using a tire-jack to realign the door then manually release it.

Has anyone ever had this problem? If so what steps did you take to fix it? Is this something I should just call professionals for? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-14, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Personally, I think that you will need a pro. The door is still attached to the opener as well as the rails. Trying the "Armstrong" method may well damage the opener - adding to your expense.

Old 03-01-14, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the post. I can manually release the opener from the door from the outside (release cord can be unlocked with key). Does this make a difference?

Old 03-01-14, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well...if you can release the arm with a key (don't think I've ever heard of that), then yes... a few people to help lift and then your method may work.

Have to say...stupid design.

Old 03-09-14, 10:10 AM
UPDATE:

I hired a professional to come look at the garage. After 5 minutes the garage was open. It involved a wood block and a crowbar. Turns out that he door was frozen to the ground on one side, explaining why it looked crooked in the track (and wouldn't budge using the Armstrong method). It wasn't a total waste of time though he tightened all the springs and lubed it. Lesson learned...

Old 03-09-14, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well...sometimes a Pro is the best solution. If the door has a rubber seal on the bottom...I suggest you regularly wipe it down with a silicone spray. Might help with this issue in the future.

Glad you got it fixed.