Awesome aluminum roof developed a leak ??? need help

Old 03-12-14, 10:36 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Awesome aluminum roof developed a leak ??? need help

Ok so I bought this house about 6 years now that has a 60 foot long by 15 foot wide aluminum insulated screened porch/sunroom
Homeowners said was built 7 years before I bought so 12 years old

it is huge floor is sloped, tiled and has drainage holes was def well built.

the problem I am having is it has developed 2 leaks where the patio attaches to the house.
I don't know how it attaches but my house is a gable end roof and is attaches to the pitched side rear of my house that has a 1x6 wood face with a metal face covering most of it

I need advice on how to seal and perm seal the leaks please

the only other issue I had a while back was one is the joints in the patio roof leaked easy fix with that aluminum sticky tape stuff

Old 03-13-14, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
I've seen several add on sun rooms develop leaks. You'll have to get up on the roof and see how your's attaches to the house and how it's flashed. Without knowing what's up there it's impossible to say how to fix it. It's just like any other roof construction and will require proper flashing and sealing. What is the exterior finish of the home: horizontal siding, vertical T1-11, brick, stucco...?

The problem with most sun rooms is that they are additions that get installed very quickly. Often flashing is just nailed to the side of the house with a bead of caulking. The exterior finish of the house does not overlap the flashing. You may find that your flashing has pulled away from the house and opened a gap. A quick fix might just be some nails, tar or caulk. A longer term solution would be to look at the quality of the flashing work and see if it should be redone so it is run up under your house's exterior siding.

Old 03-18-14, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,236 Upvotes on 1,995 Posts
Photos of the interior don't show the important part which is where and how it's flashed to the house. We really need to see a photo from the outside to be able to help.

Old 03-25-14, 10:29 PM
H
ok I have bad cancer and cant get up there safely I will get my brother to come over and snap some pics

Old 03-26-14, 11:43 AM
E
As was said above... if this was a diy job or hackish handyman work, or some contractor who got the living crap beat out of him price wise, one common shotcut is people will ignore the basic principles of flashing and counterflashing and simply caulk a folded piece of metal to the wall and to the roof. Less time and fabrication involved than trying to do it correctly.

No good roofing system uses sealant as a first line of defense against water intrusion because it wears away over time, and will have to be continually patched up to maintain functionality.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: