Genie Excelerator Trouble shooting (deep dive)

Old 03-13-14, 01:02 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Genie Excelerator Trouble shooting (deep dive)

The problem:
Power must be recycled between each operation.

Symptom:
Overhead outlet mounted on ceiling is controlled by a wall switch which just happens to be right above the hardwired Excelerator door controller. By flipping the light switch off/on we're effectively resetting the opener just like unplugging it and plugging it back in.

Turn the power off/on and you can open the garage door via the hard wired door controller or via the remote. Once the door opens or closes the switch must be turned off/back on in order for the next door operation.

LED Codes:
The only LED code is a ONE blink on the green LED

What I've tried:
  1. The STB's have a red and green LED that stay solid unless the beam is broken.
  2. Replaced wall switch - turns light on/off
  3. Replaced controller board - now when you apply power the door openers overhead light comes on and then goes right back off and you can't open the door at all
  4. Checked the fuse on the motor controller board, it's fine
  5. Quadruple checked the wiring and all connections using the wiring diagram from the original owners manual
  6. I've resynched the remotes and the red led activates when a remote is pressed
  7. Even pushing and holding the wall controller switch doesn't work (override)

New Problem:
Now when you apply power the door openers overhead light comes on and then goes right back off and you can't open the door at all.

Still have one blink on the LED.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-13-14, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It looks to be an issue with the weight or balance of your door. Have you tried calling customer support ?

Name:  ge.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  40.1 KB

Old 03-14-14, 11:13 AM
P
Not a problem with the weight or balance of the door... (I knew I should have put that in there...)

The door opens with no problems (one handed) and will stay in every position you leave it in (3' 5' wide open) and when you close it, it rolls down nicely and doesn't slam when it hits the ground.

Remember, the board is faulting out with a one blink error code as soon as it's reset. That would not be a door issue as no command is given to open or close the door.

My experience with Genie customer support is that A) they don't diagnose problems other than to repeat to you whats in the manual and B) they suggest all new parts which cost more than a new opener and when that fails they C) suggest that you buy a new opener.

Old 03-14-14, 04:56 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The only LED code is a ONE blink on the green LED
The trouble shooting part of the manual referred to by PJmax is in reference to a "red" light blink code not the green light. The manual says that the green light will turn on then off as a result of the unit resetting itself which you do with the wall switch.

Curious, how old is the house? Does the outlet in the ceiling contain all three hot-neutral-ground? Many older homes do not have grounded outlets and are straight 2 prong. This unit needs a properly grounded outlet. Most openers say that the warranty is void if you use an extension cord. Having this set to a wall switch is not a proper installation. I assume that power is going to the ceiling first and the switch leg is going to the wall. I would tie into and add a dedicated non-switched outlet near the current plug and eliminate the wall switch.

Old 03-15-14, 08:23 AM
P
the house is relatively old (70's) but the outlet and wiring were updated when the garage door opener was professionally installed 6 years ago. It's a 3 prong gfi outlet. I tested the voltage and its getting 110v.

PLUS this was working for 6 years so its not the outlet.

Unless of course you have a specific set of voltages you think should be checked other than the 110v I think we can safely pass this one by.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: