Garage Door Opener Quit Working

Old 03-19-14, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Door Opener Quit Working

In my garage I have a Sears garage door opener. It's a 1/3 horsepower model. It was in the garage when I bought the house in 2002. Yesterday, it quit working. I took off the bar that connects the door to the overhead thing on a track . Now, when I push the button on the wall, the opener makes a loud grinding sound, but the apparatus does not move. I don't think I can fix this myself. I guess I have two options. One is to call for repair service. The other is to just buy a new unit. Which option is likely to cost less?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-14, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
More than likely the gears are shot...it's a very common problem. They are nylon and w/o being greased once in a while will wear out. An unbalanced door will also eat them up in short order. The parts kit is about $25 and requires you to take the unit apart to work on it. It's not real difficult but it's a little tedious. Paying someone would probably run $150 or so. For about the same price...you could buy a new Genie screw drive (my preferred type).

Does your door operate smoothly when disconnected from the opener? Will it stay in the middle of the opening w/o slamming down or rolling up?

Old 03-19-14, 09:37 AM
When mine quit working, this is what was needed to repair it. You may be able to find the kit at your local Sears store or from a local garage door opener firm. Mine cost about $25 (like Gunguy45 said), so it is a lot cheaper than a new opener.

I unplugged the opener, and took off the outer case and found the large white gear had been worn away. The motor ran but the chain drive did not move. It was not an electrical problem but a mechanical one.

I hope this helps.

Old 03-22-14, 05:32 PM
A few more things

Since I started the thread I have tried a few more things. I took the chain off, and then pushed the button. The motor ran and the sprocket on top of the housing turned. It ran for a minute or so and then stopped. There was no unpleasant sound. I pushed the button again, and it ran in the opposite direction. I pushed it again and tried putting some drag on the sprocket with my fingers. It kept on turning without slowing down, and stopped after about a minute.
With the chain off, the thing on the track that the chain and the arm attach to can easily be pushed back and forth.
The pulley on top of the housing turns easily, and so does the pulley on the opposite end of the track.
With the chain off, and the arm disconnected, I can lift the door with perhaps 5 to 10 pounds of force. If I lift it about 3 feet off the floor and let go of it, it slowly rolls down to the floor.

Does anybody have any ideas about this?