Need Help Upgrading Detached Carport!!!

Old 03-31-14, 05:45 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Help Upgrading Detached Carport!!!

Hi,

My name is Anthony. I've been a journeyman plumber for almost 10 years and have had experience with different trades. I bought myself a house with a detached carport.

The wood frame carport sits on a concrete footing is this 5.25" wide by 12" height of the finished floor. The posts supporting the roof of the car port has begun rotting. The post currently supporting the roof is 3.5"w x 3.5" L x 63" H. There are 3 post on each side of the carport plus 1 post in the back of the carport.

The joyces on the side of the carport are 2' x 5.5" @ 20 feet long doubled up. The back and front have 3) 2" x 4" x 16".

My plan of attack is to replace all post to 4" x 4" x 63" or taller with pressure treated wood. On top of the footing is a 2"x4" bolted down to allow post to screw on to it. What is the correct approach to this? What should i use to temporary support the load of the roof when replacing the post? My truces are temporary 2x4x16. Should i beef them up with a 2x6x16 on each side to prevent the roof from swaying back and forth?

I rather have a go at this before i need to invest 20k on a garage. My city bylaw states if i'm repairing my carport, no permits are required.

Please let me know how i should approach this project this summer. All information helps.

Kind Regards,

Anthony

Old 04-01-14, 07:22 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Carport

Post photos of your carport so we can better understand what you have so we can help.

Old 04-03-14, 12:21 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Maybe you could also clarify a few of your terms: "Joyce" is a woman's first name--were you possibly thinking "joists?" And "your truces" are also a mystery--a "truce" is usually an agreement to cease active fighting. Having a problem getting along with the wife, or possibly a neighbour? Or do you mean "your trucks?"

But in general, your carport's roof loads can be temporarily supported by constructing a temporary 2 x 4 wall to support the roof framing, while the corner columns are being removed and replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: