Genie Screw Drive spins, won't open or close.

Old 05-04-14, 03:33 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Genie Screw Drive spins, won't open or close.

I have an older Genie screw drive garage door opener, I'm not sure on the model but it's 10-15 years old. During the winter it started opening/closing slowly and "jerking" up and down where the door would repeatedly stop and make a fast spurt in the direction it was going over and over until the door was opened or closed. Since it was so cold (approx 0 -15F most of the winter) I pulled the carriage release to deal with it in the spring and hopefully prevent any damage to the door opener. With the carriage disengaged from the screw drive the door moves easily and freely. Also, when the carriage is disengaged from the screw drive I can see the screw turning what appears to be normally. As soon as the carriage is reengaged the door barely moves and the screw drive barely spins, even with assistance (helping the door up/down) the door barely moves.

Any ideas on how to resolve this would be appreciated!

Old 05-04-14, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Either the couplings between the motor head and each section of the screw (if a retail product...dealer installed normally used a 1 piece screw), or possibly the capacitor. Though the cap issue would only move the door a few inches before it shut off.

Could be a bad motor...but not likely from the description.

Old 05-04-14, 05:51 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It certainly sounds like the coupler. If you have a manual, you should be able to replace it without dropping the opener. It does involve separating the head piece from the opener body.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: