Garage Remodel

Old 06-27-14, 05:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Remodel

All,

I am in the process of remodeling my 2 stall attached garage (2 separate doors that are 9x7). The garage has 2 walls that are adjoined to the house. I am in the process of ripping off all of the old gypsum board on the walls and ceiling. We are also replacing the garage doors.

I have a couple questions:

1) Do I need the ceiling to be exposed to install the new garage doors? OR can I install my new wall/ceiling coverings and then install the new garage doors and openers.
2) Does the 2 walls that are adjoining the house have to covered and insulated a certain way? I live in IOWA.
3) Since it is an attached garage do I have to use sheetrock or may I use OSB?
4) What would you all suggest for thickness of sheetrock for walls and ceiling?

Any other useful tips or ideas for the garage I am all ears. I want to make this a very nice garage that is sealed off nicely from all the outdoor elements.

Thanks for your help!

-Greg

Old 06-27-14, 06:59 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking that the ceiling and any wall which abuts an inhabited area of the house must be fire rated sheet rock.

Garage doors and openers are usually installed after the sheet rock is in place.

Old 06-27-14, 08:24 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size thickness for the Sheetrock? Ceiling and walls that abut the house in 5/8" and other walls 1/2"? Or just do it all in 5/8"?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: