Question regarding foundation for 10x10 Shed

Old 07-10-14, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question regarding foundation for 10x10 Shed

Hello all. Hoping someone could provide some insight on this question.

I am building a shed foundation using Dek-Blocks:
"Dek-Block" concrete deck base | RONA

I will be playing 6x6 PT wood on top of the dek blocks followed by the floor made out of 2x8 and 5/8's plywood

how high should I keep the non treated wood off the floor to prevent rotting? my backyard is on a slope so water shouldn't be sitting anywhere.

I dug holes into the ground to place the dek blocks to bring the floor closer to the ground along with gravel below the dek blocks.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-14, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
As long as you maintain open air space between the floor and gravel, you should be fine. I built a similar based shed by laying the 6x6's directly on the gravel and built the shed on top of the 6x6's. I no longer own that property, but the shed still appears to be in good shape.

Old 07-11-14, 08:29 AM
So the depth of the 6x6 was good enough off from the floor? Reason I ask is I want to bring down the floor as close as possible so that my ramp to get into it isn't that big.

Whatever the minimal is I can put the better i'd like it.

thank you.

Old 07-11-14, 09:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's going to rot first is the siding and trim if it's not at least 6" up off the ground.
I would not waste my money on Dek-Blocks. Those small foot prints on disturbed soil are going to sink.
I'd first level out a layer #57 stone the size of the building plus at least 12" on all sides. Lay the 6 X 6's directly on the stone. Use at least 4 to spread out the load and keep the center from sagging.
Use 3/4" Advantech T & G subflooring not 5/8 plywood. Far stronger and more moisture resistant.
Use construction adhesive on top of the floor joist.
Use blocking between the joist.
Use hurricane ties to attach the joist to the 6 X 6's, not just toe nailed nails.
Use Deck Lock 6" screws to attach the rim joist so there's no way the wood can twist and open up a gap.
Make sure there's an over hang on the room on all sides. The whole outside of the shed will stay dryer and leak free with an over hang.

Old 07-11-14, 11:44 AM
I already got the blocks and adjustable poles.

sorry its not plywood im using but similar to the one you specified TG 5/8s. ill put some PL between the plywood and 2x8s

my neighbor is using same blocks beneath her shed and its gone through a winter and looks straight still

ill keep the shed minimum 6 inches off the ground.

btw the soil isn't disturbed. I would never put blocks on disturbed soil. I dug down otherwise the floor would be 2-3ft off the ground. I dug down, placed some pea gravel around 2 inches beneath the block and then put the block on top of the gravel.

im using 3 x 6x6x10 pressure treated beams that will be 3 feet 10 inches separate from each other and 3 blocks in each row total 9 dek blocks

this is what the specs say for the block manufacturer. it called for more blocks if not using beams but im using beams so it allows less blocks.

I tried to upload a picture but it failed.

Old 07-11-14, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Old 07-11-14, 11:48 AM
here is the picture

picture of what im doing. resolution was to big so I resized

Attached Images