Garage door insulation ?

Old 08-10-14, 10:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage door insulation ?

My wooden garage door has a thin sheet on the outside which I assume is insulation. It's painted grey. The sheet on the lower panel is torn and I would like to replace it but I have no idea what it is.

I've attached some pics. I need help in identifying it and also where I can buy some.

Thanks in advance

Name:  IMAG0175.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  25.2 KBName:  IMAG0176.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  17.4 KB

Old 08-10-14, 10:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
It looks like a veneer layer, probably of wood or some fibered wood product. I assume if you grabbed that loose corner you could bend it and snap it off. Can you take another picture from further away so we can see the overall damage and how much you need to replace.

Old 08-11-14, 06:55 PM
T
Here's another pic. Yes it's some sort of fibered product. It's a few milimeters thick.Name:  IMAG0177.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  26.9 KB

Old 08-11-14, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
They used to make doors like that. Similar to how the make composite masonite hollow core interior doors. Embossed to look like wood but much cheaper and lighter. As you can see once they are damaged, they de-laminate. Probably one of the reasons you don't find them for sale anymore. Steel is much cheaper and more durable and probably even lighter.

Highly doubt you will find that exact material, though some sort of marine grade plywood might work. Won't have the textured finish of course.

It looks like even the inner framework in the panel may even be made of MDF? If so, I'd be shopping for a new door.

Old 08-11-14, 07:32 PM
T
You're right it's all mdf behind this layer. I wouldn't really bother with repairing this as the door itself is fine. But I live in a townhouse and the association is after me to fix it. The house was built around 1992. I just want a cheap fix..replacing the outer layer (if it's available) should be easy and cheap (I think). All ideas welcome

Old 08-11-14, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I just thought of something. You MIGHT be able to find some thin plywood and then possibly cover that with wood grain trim coil stock. You'd have to paint it to match of course. You might even be able to cheap out completely and just remove the damaged area and use fiber reinforced bondo to fill those areas. The fiber stuff seems to give it a slight rougher texture like rough sawn wood.

And then theres always whether the HOA thinks either of those would look tacky.

Old 08-12-14, 03:13 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Being a a townhouse, I would assume there are other identical doors in use. If so, maybe one is/will be replaced as someone might just want a new door. If you could get a panel from a replaced door it might look better than what you have.

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: