Carport metal roofing directly over joists

Old 08-11-14, 09:58 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Carport metal roofing directly over joists

I have helped family members build carports using corrugated fiberglass roofing panels in the past. I am currently building one for myself that uses metal panels instead. The panels I am using are not corrugated. They are a panel that has large and small squared off ridges (PBR Panels for those in the know).

With this style of roofing there are not wavey sawn wood pieces to support the panels and to allow screwing through the ridges. The metal panel I am installing using neoprene washered screws that are to be located on the flat low points.

I hate to rely on just the neoprene so I am wondering if it is a good idea to cover each screw I install with a dab of sealant (polyurethane, silicone, etc.) to get a better seal and longer life out of the neoprene.

Has anybody on this forum done anything like this or have a better suggestion?

TIA,
BWSwede

Old 08-11-14, 10:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
The neoprene will deteriorate over time but I'm not sure anything you apply over it [other than paint which will wear off] will help much. Many figure it's easier to just replace the screws when the neoprene deteriorates.

Old 08-11-14, 10:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 299 Votes on 259 Posts
Pole buildings are built all the time just using the neoprene washer screws/nails you mention without leaks. The trick is just do not over, or under, set the fasteners and you will be fine and last many, many years.

Old 08-13-14, 01:10 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

One more question: How necessary is it to put butyl tape on top of the rib on the overlapping side joints? The roof is a 1:12 pitch with 1.25" high ribs.

Thanks again,
BWSwede

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: