Shed Demo

Old 08-19-14, 06:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed Demo

I have a wood shed about 58 years old, all wood. roof has carpenter ant infestations so i want to take it down. however i may run out of time this summer. Questions:
1. is it worth it to keep the cedar shingles? I realized tonight the base paint layer must have lead - done in 50s or 60s
2. how do i take it down quickly and kill any and all carpenter ant nests I find? i wonder if the recip saw will disturb what nests may be there and they'll head for my house.
3. any ideas and suggestions? i plan to spray down the bare wood roof first with insecticide or Murphys oil soap which seems to kill them pretty well too and less toxic to me. lots of spiders in shed don't like to kill them, they eat mosquitoes.
4. what to put down over empty area when shed is gone.
5. i live in NorthEast - recommendations on what kind of shed to replace this - inexpensive. thinking about metal despite the rust problems.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-14, 07:11 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Probably not an issue, but just in case someone reports you, any lead based paint will need to be properly disposed of.

As for the ants it sounds like you have them covered.

Bud

Old 08-19-14, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Have an exterminator get rid of the carpenter ants to prevent migration, tear down the building, saving nothing.....absolutely nothing. Start over.

Old 08-19-14, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
There are some pretty nice poly sheds. My other thought is is a free standing canopy type shed, but I don't know how secure you need it.

Old 08-20-14, 07:41 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Canopy is fine for summer and neighbor has a poly shed that does not fall down under snow... it's a possiblity.

Exterminator wants to charge $185 to spray shed w/out guarantee... i can spray it myself in hazmat suit.

- lead paint is on old siding shingles, long since applied to wood. it's not actual paint but you're correct i should check w/County Waste Dept.

Thanks for your ideas.

Old 08-20-14, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From what I saw in most places...they just want it in a covered load or bagged for smaller stuff. Call your local Gov dump or landfill.

Oops...or your Waste Dept...as you stated.

As long as it's not a dwelling...most places seem pretty lenient.

Old 08-21-14, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
They aren't as lenient as they used to be. You may be required to contain the lead paint debris [tarps on the ground] to make sure none is left on site, then bag and dispose. Generally, homeowners are allowed more leeway than contractors when it comes to dealing with lead. Your waste dept probably has a brochure outlining the local regs.