Finicky opener

Old 09-02-14, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finicky opener

I am having trouble with my garage door opener. I have been for a bit. It opens just fine, it is the closing it struggles with. Each time I try to close it, the first time I press the button, the opener does nothing and the light blinks 10 times. If I let it cycle and then hold the button down until the door is closed it will work. I used to be able to use the opener in my truck, but recently that is not working at all to close the door. It opens it just fine.

The door is quite heavy and insulated I believe. The opener itself is only a 1/3 hp unit and I am wondering if it just isn't big enough to handle the door. I also have a tall ceiling in the garage, so the unit hangs down a good 6 feet. Could this be the problem?

Finally, I noticed that the carrier that connects the door to the rail is essentially splitting (see the atatched pictures).

Do I just need to purchase a new more sturdy and more powerful opener? Or is there something else amiss with the installation that would cause this. This is the original door opener installed about 8 years ago by the home builder.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  17.0 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  18.8 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  28.0 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  24.8 KBName:  photo 5.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  28.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10 blinks normally means a sensor problem. Same with holding the button down and the problem only on close. Misalignment or dirty. Look at them and the indicator LEDs. Normally they should be steady on, then blink or go off when the beam is interrupted. 1/3 hp is plenty if the door spring is adjusted correctly. With the opener disconnected from the door, it should go up and down easily and smoothly and stop in the middle of the opening without slamming down or shooting up.

Old 09-02-14, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 176 Posts
I agree, it sounds like a problem with the safety sensors being dirty or misaligned.