How to program Genie Pro 88 Screw Drive door opener

Old 09-13-14, 12:20 AM
How to program Genie Pro 88 Screw Drive door opener

I am not able to program it, as I can find neither the learn code button, nor the code switches on it. I was able to program another opener with an old existing remote by matching the code switches.

Please advice how it can be done.

Thanks,
-binlu

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-14, 06:53 AM
I am not able to program it, as I can find neither the learn code button, nor the code switches on it.
My experience with Genie is that they pack very detailed and illustrated instructions with every opener. If you are having problems, I would suggest you contact Genie or find the appropriate manual that you may be missing.

Garage Door Systems | Online Product Support | Genie Company

Old 09-13-14, 07:12 AM
http://www.geniecompany.com/data/pro...rogramming.pdf

but yours does look like it's missing buttons or holes for buttons.

Old 09-13-14, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
That manual that was linked doesn't apply. Notice you have no force adjustment screws either? Notice no antenna wire hanging down? Thats because you have an old unit that didn't have a built in remote receiver. I have an old Pro 82 of about the same vintage.

You'll need an external receiver that connects to the same screws as your wall button and the same power source as the opener. Some like this 12 dip switch unit Genie 12-Dip Switch Garage Door Opener Receivers

There are other universal units out there.

Oh, and your force adjustment is that big nylon nut on the end. It acts on a spring clutch to function. Tighten down for more force, loosen for less. Use a screwdriver in the slot in the shaft to prevent turning.

Old 09-13-14, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Open your remote and look for DIP switches. I think that your unit is pre rolling code and you need to set the switches in the remote and on the opener to match each other.

Old 09-13-14, 11:34 PM
It does have an antenna wire hanging down, I tired it up on the frame.

The thing is that I have another opener in the garage of the same model, and I am able to program it by using the same switch code with the old working remote. This one does not have a remote when we purchased the home. I don't feel in the same garage one opener can have a remote but the other cannot.

Old 09-13-14, 11:41 PM
I cannot find the switches on the opener ...

Old 09-14-14, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Here's the problem I think. The one you are having issues with is older than the one that is working. After some research I found the Pro88 was manufactured for a long time. The first ones that came out weren't remote compatible w/o a separate receiver. Then they changed to an internal receiver with a single set code. Then they had the dip switches, then they went to a program button. What you have is the internal receiver with a single code, apparently, since you have an antenna wire. I doubt you'll be able to find a remote that works with it. I'm guessing yours was made around 1990-1992. Does it have the safety sensors mounted at the door? If not, definitely pre-'93, though I think they were optional before '93. My 1990 Pro 82 has extra connections available that could be for sensors.

You might contact a company like AAARemotes via email with the pictures and any information you can find on any labels or plates and ask if they have anything compatible. Likely they'll suggest an external receiver, which isn't that much more than some of the remote prices.

Linear MegaCode Universal Receiver and Transmitter Kit model MDRU-1T

I've dealt with them several times and they have been very helpful.

You could call Genie support, but they won't be able to do much more than suggest you replace it because of age and safety concerns. Company policy.

Old 09-14-14, 10:48 PM
I just noticed that both openers in my garage have a Genie Radio Control box (each has an antenna wire). I guess the remote is working through these boxes. Is there any way to figure out the switch code of a Radio control box?

By the way, I am not sure what I touched, the opener that I am having problem with now does not shut off the light after it is operated (open/close). It used to work (shut off after a few minutes
) before I opened the cover box but now the bulb keeps on even after I put back the cover box.

Thanks,

Old 09-15-14, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Sure would have been nice if you had mentioned that earlier. Take the cover off the remote receiver, should be DIP switches inside. A model number would make things easier.

Not sure about the light. Try unplugging it for 5 min or so.

Old 09-15-14, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. The remote is now working!