Garage Insulation.... One wall

Old 09-14-14, 10:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage Insulation.... One wall

Would putting insulation on one wall in a garage be worth anything? Right now I have brick walls in my garage and I have studs that are running up and down but not at 16" for a storage space that I've made. I'm building a workbench that will go pretty much the whole length of the wall (around 12 feet) and I need the wall to be flushed so the back of the bench will go right against the wall so I was thinking of slapping a few sheets of OSB and since I'm a it I was thinking of putting some insulation on that wall. Maybe in the future I will insulate the rest but for now would one wall make any difference? or will I be wasting my money on insulation? I live in Toronto Canada!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Insulation is never a bad idea. Especially if you plan on future insulation of the remaining walls. I would try to do it as soon as possible so the garage will be equally insulated and the heat/cold will be in balance.

Old 09-15-14, 06:00 AM
A
I'm planning on eventually doing the rest but that might be over the next 10 years. What's the cheapest way to do it? My studs or support in my case are 2x6 laying flat against the wall!!

Old 09-15-14, 07:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
The cavity created by 2x lumber lying flat against the wall doesn't typically provide enough space to properly insulate. Any chance of making the space bigger? That said, I can't see how that would support a wall in the first place so maybe I'm missing something.

Old 09-16-14, 06:24 AM
A
The 2x6 are attached to the inside brick wall of the garage to support an upper level section that I've built. I guess I could put an extra 2x6 or 2x4 to make it thicker but I'm trying to do this on the cheap side.

Old 09-16-14, 11:52 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
People that "do things on the cheap" often are disappointed with the results and then have to do it over. In my opinion, if it is worth doing then it is worth doing correctly the first time.

Old 09-16-14, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Could you possibly post a couple of pictures of this wall so we can see what you see? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html