Garage/Driveway remodel

Old 09-26-14, 12:12 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage/Driveway remodel

Hello,

I just bought a home. It is older and on a hill. The garage was listed as a 2 car but after cleaning it out, it fit only one comfortably. Also our house is on a hill as is our driveway. Our Garage is very old and poorly built. Does anyone know roughly how much it would cost to take down the garage and dig up the current driveway so that our driveway is flat and the garage is lower and there is room for an addition to the house?

Old 09-26-14, 12:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Only you can see it. Would it be possible for you to post pictures of your garage and drive so we can see it, too. We may be able to give some advice regarding it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-26-14, 12:24 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry, just no way to estimate remotely like this. Best bet is to get three or more local contractors to bid the job so you can compare. You are certainly welcome to hit us back with questions about that process and the bids you receive.

Old 09-28-14, 12:17 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
you moderators are a special breed of men from this post, you can easily imagine why i was booted out yrs ago thank YOU for being so polite - it must be frustrating at times

Old 09-29-14, 06:48 AM
M
Garage/driveway remodel

Thank you all for the welcoming. I will try take some pics and post to give you all a better idea of what I am dealing it. I also want to know if it will give the house any value by doing this project. I have attached side angle. But will try to get more shots. Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  49.9 KB

Old 09-29-14, 06:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Is the garage attached to the house? Removing/rebuilding an attached garage is more complicated [higher cost] than with a stand alone garage. At some point you'll need to get with an architect to find out just what will be involved and whether or not the cost is something you can handle or justify.

Old 09-30-14, 02:08 PM
M
So the garage is attached however it was an addition after the house was built. You can tell as the garage is made from siding and paneling but the house is a brick house. The garage addition is the built very well or sturdy. I definitely think a contractor or architect would be a good tool. I don't want to spend more than its worth.

Old 09-30-14, 02:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Does your house have a basement? Another concern with lowering the garage is if you need to excavate lower than the footer that holds up your house you need to make sure the excavation doesn't affect the integrity of your home's structure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: