Shed foundation with sonotubes

Old 10-25-14, 02:37 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shed foundation with sonotubes

I am starting to build a 10x12 wood shed. The foundation that I have in place consists in 6 (nominal) 8" Sonotubes. Spacing and leveling turned out Ok. The tubes are 48" long and are buried between 34" and 40", filled with 3000psi concrete and reinforced with 4 pieces of 1/2 rebar. The soil is packed "sand-clay" and there is no freeze depth (south-east).
According to my (very) rudimentary calculations, this should be sufficient for a shed, even at 30 psf load.
Now, there is a whole debacle about it. For reasons beyond my control, I have to get somebody to continue the build, but, they would rather place the same structure on 6 concrete blocks on dirt than the piers. I cannot find anybody to want to use them, not even to come and look at them first.
What is wrong here?

Old 10-25-14, 02:45 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I would think for stability in a Hurricane Zone you would want everything sufficiently anchored to a foundation. What is code down there and is a permit needed for this size shed? If you adjust the size to require a permit, then the contractors would have no choice but to build it on your foundations (or your would add additional ones). I'm guessing speed and ease is their rationale. Expand your search for contractors from shed builders to remodelers or home builders. House framers may have a day or two of idle time that they can squeeze you in.

Old 10-25-14, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are you on the coast or in the Piedmont? If you stipulate they are to use your footings, then let it be said..let it be done. My Yul Brenner impression. Not sure why anyone would be so reluctant to use what you have.

Old 10-25-14, 06:08 PM
As I recall, things did not work out so well for Mr. Brenner in the Ten Commandments. But I also agree and practice that the client is always correct (provided it is in code). Be patient and you will eventually find a contractor who will work with you - We are out there!!!

Old 10-25-14, 06:34 PM
You are right, Z. We are. I would love to come upon a job where the footers are dug and poured and all I had to do was the framing.

Old 10-25-14, 07:09 PM
I would love to come upon a job where the footers are dug and poured and all I had to do was the framing.
Wow - is that utopia, or heaven.....

Old 10-25-14, 08:01 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stability, yes, that's why I poured the pilons in the first place. Also, to extend the life of the subfloor. There is no code requirement for this, there is no permitting for non-living detached buildings one store less than 600sqf. I'm only restricted by covenants in my neighborhood (shingle color, siding and general look). I live inland (Lexington SC), about 120 miles from the coast. I will use hurricane hardware just for the heck of it if I end up doing it myself, but I am wondering if the footings are not right.
Thanks for the advice, I will start asking home builders, maybe they can squeeze me in. Its a blasted shed, for crying out loud! I don't have the time right now, and I can't summon a crew. Oh well.
But do you guys see anyhing wrong with the foundation? I installed the 4x4 runners and I was just 3/4" out of square, easy enough to shift.
If worst comes, I'll prebuild as a kit time permitting and raise it myself somehow.

Old 10-26-14, 04:59 AM
I see absolutely nothing wrong with using the footings. You will need to install Simpson Strontie bases for whatever you use around the perimeter to keep them in check and to provide the absence of wood to concrete contact. Being 3/4" off is not a deal breaker. Good job as a matter of fact.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: