Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Old 11-02-14, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Garage Door Opener

Hello,

I have a Craftsman Model 139.53970 Garage Door Opener that is not working.

When the button is hit the chain tries to move but cannot. There is a buzz/hum for one second then the power is cut and a green light on the back starts flashing.

I have disconnected the door from the opener and can open and shut the door manually with no problems.

It almost seems like the motor is out of phase...like it thinks the door is up when it is actually down.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem?

As always, any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

Tripper

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-14, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you tried running the opener with the door disconnected? Have you looked at the manual to see what the flashing green LED means? Normally it flashes a pattern for a specific time. Kinda sounds to me like the capacitor may be bad. A visual inspection will likely tell you that.

It may indeed be out of phase, though I'm not sure how that can happen if it had been operating normally.

Here's a link to your manual...Craftsman Garage Door Opener Manual 53970SRT | Chain Drive

Old 11-02-14, 08:27 AM
Hi Gunguy,

Here's the deal. The trolley is all the way down by the garage door. It is pulled really tight to the 'stop pin'. One side, the cable side, is taught like a guitar string. The other side, the chain side has all sorts of slack in it and drapes down.

I think the motor is trying to move in the wrong direction and when I hit the button it tries pulling on the side that is already super tight.

I think the motor needs to go the other way but do not know how to do this. Do you?

After reading this do you have any other thoughts on what may be causing this?

I have looked at the manual but it is a manual for about 6 kinds of openers and is confusing, at least to me.

Thanks

Trip

Old 11-02-14, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Page 34 of the manual, number 15. You disconnect the chain, run the opener the correct way, then reconnect the chain. Kind of a pain, but really the only way to correct it.

This is basically a Chamberlain opener which I THINK uses a little arm running on a screw drive in the powerhead that travels as the trolley moves. As it reaches each end, it closes a switch saying "closed" or "open".

Once it's adjusted and working correctly, normally it's pretty trouble free. I think the instructions are for problems after initial install. I just don't see how it could get that far out of whack after the chain is installed.

The cable will always be tight as I remember (I have a screw drive now)?

If you take the cover off the powerhead, you can probably see the little traveling screw and arm I mentioned.

Sorry, just haven't worked on one of these in a while. Goldstar or one of the others might be able to weigh in later.

Did you try running it with the door disconnected?

Old 11-02-14, 09:38 AM
Hi Gunguy,

Ok, took the cover off and the Gear Sprocket has completely froze. I got the chain off it and there were some metal shards that came from somewhere, couldn't quite tell where, but that's not good.

I think I would have to replace the whole Gear and Sprocket assembly along with the Drive Worm Gear.

I also found white gear shavings when I took the cover off....normal amount I guess but still worn.

So....I'm thinking I'll just get a new unit. I'd like to keep the whole track assembly that is already installed. Is it possible to just get a Craftsman of the same type and reuse the stuff already installed?

Thanks for all your help so far. Much appreciated.

Trip

Old 11-02-14, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator
White snow is typical with these. Repair kit with all gears and bushings is about $25 and an hour of work.

If you buy new...you'll be replacing the rail as well, since it comes with the unit. Would you keep the 4 y/o tires from your old beast and put them on your new car?

Personally...I hate chain drives...and belt drives (though quieter) are basically the same thing and have the same issues. I like mid level Genie screw drives.

The main issue is if your door is operating properly. Do a search for how to check your garage door. Easier than explaining it here.

Old 11-02-14, 05:48 PM
Gunguy,

Thanks for all your info. Very informative and great insight. I looked up a few vids on Youtube and ordered the replacement kit. I'm pretty sure I can get it done.

We'll try that first.

Thanks again

Trip

Old 11-02-14, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Just follow the directions in the kit, make sure to observe the rotation when setting it. Poor design IMO but its kind of a safety thing so I understand that.