Rubber vs vinyl for garage door bottom seal.

Old 12-14-14, 02:51 PM
C
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Rubber vs vinyl for garage door bottom seal.

I need to replace my 3" bead vinyl garage door bottom seal which is now stiff and cracked and starting to let light through against the uneven floor. I've noticed there is an option to go rubber or vinyl for the replacement. The house is almost 100 years old and the floor along the bottom edge of the door is slightly uneven- is one material better than the other in terms of flexibility to seal against the uneven floor?

Old 12-15-14, 01:19 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In cold weather areas rubber is definitely preferred because it stays flexible and colder temperatures much better than vinyl. Depending on where you are in California that may or may not be an issue. Whichever type you get make sure it is UV protected or else the sun will deteriorate it quite rapidly.

Old 12-15-14, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
You can also buy an oversize seal. Most are only about 1-1 1/2", they make up to 3" I believe. You may have to change your opener settings if you have one, if you go with the larger seal.

There are also barriers that you glue down to the floor under the door that work well. Tsunami Seal is one style and what I have. With a bit of searching you can find them pretty cheap.

I agree you should occasionally wipe them with a silicone spray or an automotive product like Armour All.

I live in AZ and mine gets direct sun most of the day, no problems in the 7 yrs it's been installed (New garage seal and the Tsunami Seal), a little maintenance goes a long way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: