Garage door sensor and ambient light problems

Old 04-09-15, 08:14 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door sensor and ambient light problems

The garage door sensor will open fine but will not close because of ambient light, I have to hold a large cardboard close to the sensor to block the sun or ambient light before it closes. This is a 15 years old garage system, works great except for the sensor closing issues. Early mornings and late afternoons/evenings it works perfectly, it's mostly during the day when there is a lot of ambient light hitting the sensor when it doesn't work, and again it would open fine but would not close as it keeps starting and backing up. Again this is an ambient light issue and not an sensor alignment issue. It has done this since we moved to this house several years ago. How do you solve this problem, is there a sensor replacement that is not affected by ambient light? Thanks

Old 04-09-15, 08:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,474 Votes on 1,362 Posts
Try reversing the sensors. Switch them.

Old 04-09-15, 08:35 AM
K
Thanks for your suggestion. Aren't those sensors identical? They look the same and each have two wires running to it, the only difference I notice is the sensor that gets hit by the sun light is always red (and starts blinking when the sun is on it and not functioning properly) while the other sensor is green when the garage is shut and off when the garage is open. Is the make or function of the green light sensor different that it would make a difference if I switch them? Thanks

Old 04-09-15, 09:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 853 Votes on 787 Posts
They are not identical. One is an emitter and the other a receiver. Easiest is to move the sensors, leaving the wiring in place then double check up at the power head to see if the wires each go to a pair of contacts or if both wires go to the same. Some model openers have a separate pair of screws for the emitter and receiver while some door openers have the wires for both going to the same set of screws. If they both go to the same place you don't need to do anything. If the emitter and receiver have separate contacts (screws) just swap them.

Old 04-10-15, 11:25 AM
K
Got them switched, it was easy. the door opens and closes fine. It has been very cloudy today and supposed to continue for few days, will find out if this solves the problem once the sun hits the sensor, I am hopping it will work, will update post with result. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: