both garage door openers stopped working....same day

Old 05-08-15, 05:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
both garage door openers stopped working....same day

just bought a home here in NC about 2 months ago. its been one thing after another.....

anyhow.....today we come home and neither car can open either garage door remotely. we go inside, out into garage and the power is ok to all the lights and fridge out there. breaker is not popped into the "off" position for the doors. nor is any fuse. but the openers on the wall wont open the doors either. the lights on the openers have never worked....so no additional info can be gathered there.

I believe these are both Chamberlain Liftmasters. I think one is original to the home (so about 22 years old). the other looks a bit newer. I would say 5-8 years old.

Any thoughts on why both would go bad in a day? I am relatively handy but I don't know much about electrical. could the 20amp fuse be "bad" that feeds these? again, the rest of the garage receptacles and such seem fine.

photos attached. appreciate the feedback.

Attached Images    
Old 05-08-15, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
The openers may be on a separate circuit which would be one reason for the rest of the garage to still be on.

Last edited by PJmax; 05-08-15 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 06:19 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Step one is to take any small light ( trouble light, night light, etc.) and plug it into the receptacle where the opener is currently plugged in. I suspect that the circuit is dead and you need to check further in the breaker box.

Old 05-09-15, 05:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
When in doubt cyle every single pole breaker that might feed the door openers.

Have you installed new light bulbs in the openers? It would be extremely unusual for two openers to have the lights not work.

Old 05-09-15, 07:15 AM
T
the lights in the overhead units....I suspect the bulbs are just dead. and since there are large fluorescent work lights out there....I just haven't prioritized changing them.

so update from this AM.....I went around and it seems like all the receptacles work out there. but the irrigation system on opposite wall also does not work now. was working mid week. did not come on today. tried manually and looks like its drawing no power

will cycle the breakers. thanks

Old 05-09-15, 07:24 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I have been in houses where the garage door was plugged into a switched circuit. See if there area any light switches that you don't know what they operate and you may find your source of two things going out at once and all of a sudden.

Old 05-09-15, 01:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
Oh, geez! Get off the $2 and put light bulbs in the openers. It will be easier to tell when they have power. You can try switches and breakers and all you have to do is see if the keypad lights up or tap the light button and see if the light comes on.

Breakers can trip and sometimes not really show as obviously tripped so you might have a tripped on that's hard to spot. Simply pushing them to the "on" position won't reset them. You need to clunk them all the way to the off position and back on.

Old 05-09-15, 02:39 PM
T
I have thrown every breaker in the box one at a time (except the main). and I went up on a ladder with a nightlight and checked the overhead outlets. they are giving off no power. other wall outlets in the garage seem ok. again.....there is an irrigation system on the wall out there (opposite wall) and the wall outlet it is on is also not giving any juice (checked with nightlight).....and one in my kitchen. I will check for GFIs. other than that, I guess I can call an electrician. just trying to make sure its not something simple.

changed the lite bulbs while on the ladder. I had a stroke. so I haven't wanted to fool with the ladder but while I was at it....I knocked it out.

thanks all.

Old 05-09-15, 02:58 PM
T
I checked all GFIs. I also now notice 4 of 5 receptacles in room right above garage are dead.

so can a fuse/breaker just "go bad?" and is its something I can kill the main (from exterior, into the box) and just plug a new one in there? or is this best left to an electrician?

Attached Images   
Old 05-09-15, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
You have a breaker labeled garage door openers and now you have a bunch of receptacles out. They shouldn't be related but they could be.

If you start at the panel you need to use an actual voltage tester or voltmeter to check and make sure the breaker is good. Then you are going to have to start checking every dead receptacle for a problem. The problem will be at the last working device on that circuit or at the first dead device.

Old 05-09-15, 04:26 PM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
Normally I would say kill the main and replace a bad breaker. But you don't sound too confident and you did not specifically indicate that you know a breaker is bad. Call an electrician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: