Need a new remote for garage door opener- will a generic remote work?

Old 05-30-15, 07:49 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need a new remote for garage door opener- will a generic remote work?

Hi guys,

I have a really simple question. We have an Overhead Door (Model 1020), and we need an additional remote.

Can I just buy any remove from the local Home Depot, then re-program it (with the door opener's 'Learn' button)? Or, do I need to get a specific type of remote that is compatible with my particular model?

I know how generic and simple this question probably is, but any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-30-15, 08:22 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You need a remote that is compatible with the opener installed. You may, or may not, find a compatible remote at a big box store. You need to take the manufacturer and model number of the opener with you and then carefully read the list of compatible openers on the box of the new remote. If your opener is not listed the remote is probably not compatible and in that case you might need to go to a dealer that handles your specific opener. If the opener is really old then it is possible that you will not be able to get a replacement remote and if this is true then you would either have to use a generic unit that comes with a new receiver that you wire into the original opener's pushbutton circuit or else replace the entire opener with a new unit.

Old 05-30-15, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
You'll need to locate the date code sticker as it seems that plays a role in selecting remotes.

Just a FYI page....Overhead Door Compatible Garage Door Opener Parts

Old 05-30-15, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
There are also a few places online that give excellent service and a wealth of info on their website. I've used AAARemotes for a number of years and they ship fast as well as being knowledgeable about their products. There are a few others as well. If you aren't in a huge hurry you can save a good chunk of change even with shipping.

If you already have a working remote, easiest thing is to just buy another of the same.

Old 05-30-15, 10:50 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks a lot for the info, guys! The only thing that was complicating our search for a new remote was the fact that our current model is discontinued. But I'm really glad to see that we have a number of options.

Old 05-30-15, 11:17 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Does your opener have any decals saying "code dodger" or similar? Does it have a learn button for programming remotes? If so, a Genie "rolling code" remote, available about everywhere, should work for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: