Opening from garage to attic.

Old 06-14-15, 02:54 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opening from garage to attic.

Attached garage with suspended ceiling. You go through that interior door and then turn and go up stairs which lead to finished portion of attic. In the back of that finished room is a door leading to the unfinished attic section.

If you poke your head up above the suspended ceiling in the garage, you will see the drywall extending up and then stop a few inches short of the top plate. You can see the insulation and the plywood on the outside of the wall studs. It's like that all the way around the walls of the garage. Also, the insulation is laid on top of the ceiling tiles; there is no insulation on the underside of the finished section floor joists.

In the front left corner of the garage, however, there is a big hole that leads to the attic. Other than the suspended ceiling and the insulation laid on it, there is another piece of insulation in the attic laid across the hole on those wires. Then, you're in the attic.

I took pictures looking up from the garage and down from inside the attic.

Is this construction acceptable?

I appreciate your help!

Leaning

Attached Images         
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-15, 06:25 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Construction

We have no idea where you are located.

Consult your local building inspector/permitting authority.

Old 06-14-15, 06:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm still a little confused when I'm looking at from your pictures but one thing strikes me as being wrong. Code requires a complete fire separation between the garage and the interior of the home, to do this requires a minimum of 5/8" rated drywall. It doesn't appear that you have anywhere near that for separation between the garage and the interior of your home.

Old 06-14-15, 07:34 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Hi leaning,
How old is this home? As Msradell said, there should be a fire wall between house and garage. As for other details, I am not getting the whole picture.

Bud

Old 06-15-15, 07:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 673 Votes on 622 Posts
I'm with Wirepuller. It officially depends on where you are located. There are still areas in the US that do not have building codes. Even if you are in an area that does not follow the codes and inspections the codes still serve as a good guide for the minimum level of acceptable.