Concrete Paint or Epoxy Garage Floor?

Old 08-07-15, 07:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Concrete Paint or Epoxy Garage Floor?

Hi,

I was wondering if I should paint the concrete floor in my garage....or should I Epoxy it?

Would Epoxy flooring decrease the value of your house? Has anyone regretted doing so?

Old 08-08-15, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
Not sure if I understand what you are saying Epoxy paints dry to a harder film and generally wear better than other paints. Personally I prefer a concrete stain over paint. The prep for stain isn't as critical and if/when it fails, it basically just wears off [easy to recoat] A successful paint job requires proper prep and no moisture under the slab.

Old 08-08-15, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
If you do either (paint or epoxy) incorrectly then it could decrease your home's value if it peels or looks bad. Done correctly I think the epoxy could increase your home's value but I don't think paint would increase it.

Old 08-28-15, 04:02 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I would suggest you should choose epoxy coating over concrete floors. They provide you with durable, resistant floors along with moisture absorbing qualities. Also, they provide clean floors so looks more spacious. Even, they donít require maintenance, if handled properly.

Old 08-28-15, 04:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 405 Votes on 361 Posts
They provide you with durable, resistant floors along with moisture absorbing qualities.
That makes no sense, any coating will prevent or slow down moisture absorption! Painted concrete will repel moisture from above but can pop loose if there is moisture below trying to migrate up.

btw - welcome to the forums epfloors!

Old 08-28-15, 06:42 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Moisture absorbing epoxy coating...what an interesting and unlikely concept

Now if they invented an oil absorbing garage floor, I'm in!

Old 08-29-15, 12:22 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I have worked in facilities that had professionally installed epoxy floors and to say they require no maintenance is an absolute lie. They do wear well and the maintenance is fairly light, depending on what is driven over the floor, but they most assuredly DO require some routine maintenance.

Old 08-29-15, 03:57 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
lots of diy'ers regret using epoxies however they usually pick what's sold in apron/vest stores or on the shelf of the local h/o sher-wms,,, we've switched to sher-wms & find their pro mtls to be excellent ( no $ interest ),,, there is NO paint that's suitable for conc,,, IF paint were a good coating, why do we have to repaint our houses ? ? ?

pro installed epoxy floors generally give 7 to 9 yrs of decent performance w/o much maintenance other than sweeping up the abrasives,,, HOWEVER, most industrial floors ALSO have a urethane top coat to protect the epoxy.

we use moisture barrier epoxies but if there's a moisture absorbent epoxy on the market, i think ep's the only guy who knows about them,,, none of my suppliers do,,, as w/anything, proper prep is the key !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: