How do I replace rubber strip under garage door?

Old 10-24-15, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I replace rubber strip under garage door?

Not sure if this is common but does the rubber strip under the garage door wear out? Is it replaceable , if so do I just buy any type or does it have to be the same brand as the garage?

Water gets through the middle and a huge puddle forms :-(

*can I upload pics?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-15, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 514 Votes on 484 Posts
Sure you can upload pics..... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Keep in mind though..... that door gasket is designed to keep the weather and dirt out... but not the water.

Old 10-24-15, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
Yes, everything wears out and the weather strip on the bottom of the door is no exception. After a while they remain "squished" and no longer properly seal the gap. Then they eventually crack and start coming apart.

Most seals just slide in from the end and are relatively universal. I get the old one out. If it was really bad I'll run a flat blade screwdriver or putty knife in the mounting slots to clear out any debris. Then with the new seal I'll wet a piece of rag with WD-40 and lubricate the parts of the weather strip that go into the slots.

The weather stripping is stretchy so start shoving the new strip in and eventually it will stop. Go to the end that's in the door and pull. Then go back to the free end and feed in more weather stripping. You may get a foot or two on each cycle but eventually you'll get it all in. Then run your hand down the length pushing more in to make sure that it's not stretched as it will shrink over time and end up being too short.

Old 10-25-15, 04:01 AM
1. Hhmmmm because I have water coming into my garage.. Hope by replacing it, it would stop it

2. Where can I find some? Sears, lowes?

Old 10-25-15, 06:17 AM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
My local home center carries the weather stripping. When looking for it it might not look like you expect. It comes in a roll and the weatherstripping is more like a flat strip with a little "T" on each end.

If you continue to get water coming in there is a strip you can adhere to the floor to provide a little dam.

Old 10-25-15, 03:27 PM
Thanks pilot.. That's exactly what I was reading about.