Garage wall button not opening door

Old 11-03-15, 07:59 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage wall button not opening door

I have replaced the old single button wall opener with a new one. It does not work, the single button remote does. I have jumped both the button and the back of the unit and neither makes the door open. I have also tried jumping both with new wire and still nothing. This is an older model single door opener-Thank you.

Old 11-03-15, 09:32 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
First, please provide the make and model of your opener.

Second, why did you change wall buttons?
If you replaced the button with an illuminated door bell, that could cause your problem.

Old 11-04-15, 05:41 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
Just to be sure, "short" out the two terminals that the wall button attach to at the head unit. Does that actuate the door?

Old 11-04-15, 08:24 AM
G
Wall button

Thank you, this was indeed my first post. The opener is a Stanley Economy 1/4 hp. I originally replaced the wall button with a non lighted one button door opener button (vs a door bell) because my troubleshooting determined it to be the easiest cause to remedy (vs stringing all new wire). (The door was working but not from the wall button.) After I changed it and it still did not trigger the door, I did indeed "short out" both the button and the head unit as the second reply suggested and it still does not trigger the door. Thanks.

Old 11-04-15, 09:50 AM
G
Stanley went out of the opener business in 1997, which means there is not much information available. Since you tried shorting the terminal screws without success, the next stop is to remove the opener housing and trace the wires inside.
When you shorted the screws, did you remove the wires from the push button first? Just wondering if there is a short in the wiring that is keeping the motor switch from sensing the on / off changes.

Old 11-04-15, 03:12 PM
G
I tried shorting the terminal screws and the button screws with the other ends connected. Neither "short" completed the circuit. Suspecting a short in the wiring-I connected "newer" wire and tried the same shorting routine. It appears that I will have to look INSIDE the housing for a wire issue since it appears no signal/electricity is getting to the wire outside of the housing.

Old 11-04-15, 08:05 PM
G
Please keep us posted with what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: