Old carport ceiling peeling

Old 11-07-15, 08:09 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old carport ceiling peeling

We recently bought a house built in '67.
The carport ceiling appears to be 3 or 4" tongue & groove. The paint is peeling all over it.

What's the best (or easiest, but still proper) way to fix this? Can I use a pressure washer? Would I need to sand it as well?

There's a light in the center, so i'm guessing if I did use a pressure washer, I'd need to hand scrape near that.

Also for painting, would a roller get in the grooves? Would it be easier/feasible to just put plywood over the T&G? If so, what thickness should I use? I imagine 1/4" would sag? Plywood would add about $200-300.

Any tips would be great!

Old 11-07-15, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd be leery of using a pressure washer as it wouldn't take much to force the water into cracks and into the attic I'd scrape off all the loose paint and maybe sand the edges of the remaining paint, prime and apply a coat of finish. A 1" nap roller cover will get in the grooves but you'd want to back brush in order to remove the roller stipple.

Old 11-07-15, 11:18 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark.

That sounds like a lot of work!

While I don't like to hide issues, would covering it with plywood be a valid option?

I was just reading about vinyl soffit as well. It looks like it would cost a bit more than plywood, but I don't think it would require much/any scraping, it's a lot lighter than sheets of plywood, and I wouldn't have to paint it.

Old 11-07-15, 12:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
I would assume laminating the T&G with plywood would be ok although that does put more weight on the ceiling joists. IMO covering with vinyl is probably the smartest move as it all but cuts out future maintenance ..... just needs to be cleaned occasionally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: