garage door opener for low celing

Old 11-10-15, 01:29 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
garage door opener for low celing

Hi,

I want to totally replace my garage door and rails. It is like 30 years old and in pretty bad shape. I'd like to get an automatic opener to replace it. I mentioned it to a contractor and he told me I have a low ceiling and probably can't do it. He said there are side units that are more expensive.

So questions are:

1. how tall should the ceiling be in my garage for a standard garage opener?
2. Which garage opener should I be looking at if I meet that height. The garage is under the dining room so noise is not an issue. So I would prefer something thats durable and low maintenance. Second consideration is noise. And final consideration would be to be opened with smart phone.
3. What garage opener should I look at if my ceiling is too low?
4. If I go with a pro installer, should I purchase the opener myself to save some money? Or let the installer purchase it as long as it's the one from answer to #3.

Old 11-10-15, 02:13 PM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Garage Door Opener

What are the facts?
How much ceiling to floor clearance do you have?
There are low clearance tracks available at extra cost.
Take some measurements and then check the manufacturer's web site for the brand you want.

Old 11-10-15, 02:20 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There are jackshaft motors which mount to the side of the vertical track rails. There are also low clearance openers which will work if you have at least 2" clearance between the top of the door and the ceiling.
For low maintenance, I would suggest a screw drive.

Old 11-11-15, 03:26 AM
Received 25 Votes on 25 Posts
Nothing against your contractor, but hire a door co. they are specialized in the art. Contractors don't do it every day and probably don't know all the tricks of the trade. A good door co. salesman should be able to come to your house and give you a free estimate and tell you what you need to get an opener in there.

Old 11-18-15, 04:31 AM
L
Those avante garage doors with 2-3 clearance would make it perfect, it comes in with tempered glass and a solid aluminium panel options. There are nylon tire like structures used in it which keeps the noise to the minimal or completely mute. About the smartphone adaptability I ain't sure but then you can just go through the complete brochure before you make the purchase. I got mine purchased from a garage door installer, http://www.heritagehomedesign.ca/, Toronto.

Old 11-18-15, 04:51 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
I agree with Doorman, get a garage door installer to get quote. But don't just get one. Get at least two.

Old 11-18-15, 08:53 AM
I'd get the door and opener installed first then take care of the automation later.

There are several ways to add smart phone connectivity to your garage door these days. Even if an opener with turn-key functionality won't work for you there are retrofit solutions for any situation. With a home-automation hub (like Smart Things, Wink, etc.) it can be done with the addition of one of several inexpensive switches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: