Slatwall direct over insulation and vapor barrier

Old 11-18-15, 06:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slatwall direct over insulation and vapor barrier

One of the walls in my garage is insulated and vapor barriered, but there is no drywall, the rest of the garage (other walls and ceiling) are drywalled as well but not taped.

I want to install slatwall in my garage on the wall that has no drywall, but by code do I have to drywall it first for a fire barrier?

I've tried reading my building code but can't find it, I am in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Thanks,

Old 11-19-15, 06:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
That depends on which wall you are installing the slat material. It also depends on when your house was built and which codes it complies with. Old houses had no requirement for fire protection. Then some houses only need the sheetrock fire barrier on the wall adjoining the house but they also usually require the seams to be taped and mudded.

Old 11-19-15, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 846 Votes on 775 Posts
If it's the shared wall with the house, I would say yes, since as Pilot Dane mentioned, current codes call for it. If there is living space above the garage, then yes. If there is another building 3 feet behind the garage wall, then yes. If not, it may still be smart to do it now if you ever intended to drywall it in the future, rather than have to drywall around it later and not be able to finish the gap where the two meet.

The above is based on international codes, however things may be different in Canada. IMO, I would want drywall up asap to protect the VB and insulation. Since its insulated, I would think there would be a shared wall with the house behind there.

Old 11-19-15, 08:54 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your house apparently met code when it was built. Edmonton wants to sell their complete code, but you could probably call their office and get an answer.

They do allow you to drywall a basement without a permit.

Since slatwall comes in various materials, you could consider using aluminum. That would give you the wall you want and is fireproof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: