Ideas for Building Raised Flooring to Support Closet?

Old 11-20-15, 11:06 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ideas for Building Raised Flooring to Support Closet?

I could use some suggestions on how to tackle a project. My new home doesn't have a proper area for us to keep the litter box (except for a bathroom - gross!), so I am thinking of building a small closet in our garage that the cats can access from inside the house. My thought is that by framing this out as a closet will help at resale time as it can alternatively be used for storage.

Here's where it gets tricky. My house is built on a slight slope, so when you enter the garage, you have to go down a set of stairs. This means that the access point for the cat door is about 5 feet above the garage door, so the floor of this closet will have to be raised about 4 feet above the ground.

The picture below can give you a general idea of the area I'm working with. The floor of the closet would be even with the top of the brick, I'd remove that little bit of railing that faces into the corner and put a door there.

I think framing & building the closet won't be that big of a deal, but what I'm unsure about is how to build a structurally safe floor that is raised 49" off the ground and can support a closet. Where should I start with this?

Name:  Garage 1.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 11-20-15, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
If you can find sufficient studs in the wall to the left for anchoring, you could simply attach a 2x4 across that wall and one to the brick opposite it. Add a couple of cross pieces for floor joists and you should be strong enough.

Old 11-20-15, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Make that 2x6's probably.

Old 11-20-15, 11:20 AM
C
Here's more of a mockup of what I'm thinking of doing...

Name:  Garage 2.jpg
Views: 1134
Size:  29.2 KB

Old 11-20-15, 11:29 AM
C
Really, you think that's all it would take? I do have 2 studs in the left wall that could be used. Probably wouldn't hurt to do one across that concrete foundation back wall, right?

Old 11-20-15, 12:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Since the space underneath won't be that useful I'd build a cabinet in the garage and put the closet on top. The cabinet would basically be a box made of of 2x4 (stud like) reinforced sides and 2x6 reinforced top.

Old 11-20-15, 12:59 PM
Group Moderator
I had the same thought as ray earlier, too, as to how to make use of that bottom space. Yes, wouldn't hurt to attach to the back wall also since you would have a joist back there anyway. With two studs on the left side, I think I might add a couple of vertical supports down to the floor at the corners.

Old 11-20-15, 01:07 PM
C
Yeah, vertical supports seem like a good idea for some additional support. And, yes, the space underneath isn't super useful, but it would fit my lawnmower, sawhorses, and garbage can just fine. ;-)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: