Garage door controllers won't work in the cold

Old 11-24-15, 05:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Garage door controllers won't work in the cold

For the past week, now that it has gotten colder outside, my garage door remotes won't work properly.

In the mornings, my remote won't work, my wife's remote won't work, the button in her car programmed to open the garage door won't work, and the keypad on the outside of the garage won't work. The door opener mounted on the inside of the garage always works on the first press.

When I come home for lunch and it's warmer outside, I'm able to get it to open with my remote although it sometimes takes a bunch of presses.

Any ideas?

Old 11-24-15, 06:07 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
First change the batteries in your remotes and outside keypad as I assume it to is wireless. Cold batteries deliver less power so the remotes can't transmit at full power but when the batteries warm a bit you get your range back.

Old 11-24-15, 06:23 AM
D
Batteries were my first thought as well, but doesn't explain the failure of the programmed button in my wife's car.

Old 11-24-15, 06:52 AM
Received 311 Votes on 280 Posts
Temperature change, especially when it turns cold will tend to twist and expand/contract metal and wood. Sounds like both doors need adjustment. Disconnect the operator. Will doors move easily with one hand and little effort? Will it stay in the mid position without falling or rising? Lubricate all hinge points but not the track or wheels (lubricate the wheel bearings) themselves. Check all fasteners of track to the wood. Make sure their firm but do not over tighten and strip the threads. Make all adjustments then reattach operator and test. If working then re-adjust upper and lower limit stops if need be.

Old 11-24-15, 07:13 AM
D
Would that still be the problem even though the button mounted inside the garage works everytime the first time you press it?

Old 11-24-15, 07:46 AM
Could be. Pressing (and holding) the hardwired button will usually make a (slight mis-adjusted) door open and close. This is one large door being operated by two remotes? Could also be a bad receiver board. Try doing a re-calibration via the head unit buttons and the remotes (see manual). Sometimes they go out of sync. If that don't work I would guess that you have a faulty receiver circuit board.

Old 11-24-15, 08:00 AM
D
Yes this is a two car garage with one big garage door. A slight press of the hard-wired button inside the garage works everytime.

I'll try the recalibration.

The weird thing is, as I mentioned, when I go home for lunch today my remote clicker will most likely work again, as will the programmed button in my wife's car. Then later tonight or tomorrow morning when it's cold, they won't work.

This morning I took my clicker, walked in the garage, stood underneath the head unit and held the clicker up next to it and it wouldn't work. Then when I get home at lunch it will work from inside my truck normally.

Old 11-24-15, 08:42 AM
Could be bad transmitters. But two bad transmitters at the same time seems unlikely. Try the re-calibration and let us know what happens.

BTW...provide make and model. Others here maybe able to shed more light on the problem.

Old 11-24-15, 08:57 AM
D
Ok will do. I know it's a LiftMaster but I'll check the model when I get home.

Old 11-24-15, 09:53 AM
D
It's a Lift-Master (The Professional Line) 1/2 HP Security + and it opened right up just now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: